• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help Me Know

HimalayanHitman

Oakley Beginner
Okay guys I am brand new here and alas donot have many Oakleys (yet) I currently only have the Juliet left. I have emailed Oakley for a list of made in USA vs China models and they were unhelpful, could anyone here tell me what major models are Chinese made so I can stay away?
The model I am admiring is the Valve is it USA made and how in terms of size is it to the Flak Jacket or Juliet?

Again I am new so go easy.

Is there any particular reason you want to stay away from the Chinese made frames? I realize there's a certain sense of pride in buying American, but realistically if you're looking to buy a new pair of glasses you should be looking first and what fits and what looks good to you.

Being new to Oakleys my first suggestion would be to get to a shop to try them on. That's not always an option, but buying blind online will certainly come back to bite you at some point.

Is there any particular reason you want to stay away from the Chinese made frames? I realize there's a certain sense of pride in buying American, but realistically if you're looking to buy a new pair of glasses you should be looking first and what fits and what looks good to you.

Being new to Oakleys my first suggestion would be to get to a shop to try them on. That's not always an option, but buying blind online will certainly come back to bite you at some point.

I have visited my local Oakley store and Cabelas and like several models and the reason I do not wish to buy the Chinese frames is Oakley to me has always been American pride in eye protection and I just wish for now to stay state side for my frames. I have tried on several and because of the Juliet I like metal but the metal ones I tried out were all stamped China.

There are a few types of metal frames. Standard "wire" frames are made in China, and have been for some time. Your Juliet is an "X-Metal" frame, which is made from cast titanium in a plant in Nevada. They no longer make X-Metals, though there are some that can still be found at retail.

The trouble now is that all of the frames and packaging are moving to a more generic "Designed In the USA" and removing the "made in the USA" from the inside of the stems.

To be 100% sure you'd need to find a pair that has "Made in the USA" on the box or on the glasses.

Personally I'm a bit upset about the change, but it won't stop me from buying a pair that fits and looks good on me. Unfortunately they don't really make anything right now that tickles my fancy, so (fortunately) I'm not pressed by the decision on whether or not to buy the pairs that may or may not be produced in part in not the USA.

My thing is I want to buy as many frames as I can that are confirmed to be US made before they decide to fully transition to China as many US makers have.

Anything made before 2013 will be USA, after that it's going to be a crapshoot. You'd almost have to physically hold the pair and check for USA markings.

They won't tell you what is made where. Therefore without raiding a shipping container or getting inside HQ where they assemble the pairs there's not any way for us to know for sure. Unless it says on the frame "Made in China" or "Made in USA"

Okay well that sucks, the Valve just came out and looks cool Ill have to look and see if my local store has one to see.
But be certain that the most vital and important part of the glasses, the lenses, were made here in the USA. All of their lenses are made here in the USA and from what I am told all of the glasses are painted and assembled here in the USA. So basically if you pick up a pair of OMatter frames just realize they are designed here in the USA, (possibly) painted here in the USA, assembled for sure here in the USA and the lenses are 100% made here in the USA. It is a choice made by the (new) parent company for their own reasons **profit**cough**cough**

But you are still buying mostly a USA product with Oakley, which beats nearly 80% of everything else we own. Nearly nothing is made in America anymore. Even American made automobiles use some foreign parts here and there. I think the most "Made in America" car is the Buick Enclave with 88.5% Made in America and like I said, that is the closest vehicle out to being made in America.

So true but just about everything I use or carry is USA made even if that means going for custom made goods, I like that my Juliets are 100% USA made, I just want the material to be US made as well. Buying Chinese to me is not bad just mot my style, on other forums I am known for USA made and Titanium lol.

Well that is definitely not a bad thing! It is very hard to find a brand name sunglass Made in America. I am in the industry and do not carry anything Made in America. Most of the industry is China, Italy, Japan. Americans just can't work for as cheap as these other countries will. It has always amazed me though that considering the cost of fuel it is still cheaper to ship them from there to here on a shipping container than it is just to produce them here, even at minimum wage.

Back