• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HELP! Thoughts And Reviews Regarding Clear Black Iridium Photochromic

I would also like to hear everyones comments regarding these lenses. Especially what people have to say about using these in Dark conditions. I have used some of the Rudy project photochromic lenses and they are clear enough in dark conditions to wear comfortabley. I was wondering if I could use the Oakley photochromic ones in the dark in winter.

Any comments would be welcome.

I have this somewhat obscure lens on Radar - Grey Smoke (path) 26-213 which I obtained to have an example of the Clear Black Photochromic lens, wore the pair once on a very overcast day on a shop trip, handy in that it is almost like a clear lens but just trims off the slightest brightness, can be used in and out of shops etc without having to keep taking them off. Would be of no value in the sun (for me at least) but most likely this is a pair for someone who is looking to expand their lens collection of for protection from dust or rain in cycling or similar activities.

I have a pair of Split Jackets with that lens and I like them a lot. They actually get pretty dark, it's hard to tell when wearing them, but if you cover one side and put them in the sun for 5 minutes or so you can see how dark they get compared to normal.

I have a pair of Split Jackets with that lens and I like them a lot. They actually get pretty dark, it's hard to tell when wearing them, but if you cover one side and put them in the sun for 5 minutes or so you can see how dark they get compared to normal.

My Flak Jacket G40 to grey lenses change in less than 30 seconds in full sun. Are the black iridiums darker, and does it take them 5 minutes to change?

My Flak Jacket G40 to grey lenses change in less than 30 seconds in full sun. Are the black iridiums darker, and does it take them 5 minutes to change?

I think the black iridium may be darker. They change pretty quick, I only say wait 5 minutes just to be sure they are as dark as possible, it usually takes less than that.

You must be thinking Persimmon

LensLight %IndexCoatingBasePurposeLighting
Black Persimmon Transition42% 2Black IridiumPersimmon to Grey (10-42%)Increased ContrastOvercast to Sunny
Emerald to Emerald Clear Transition 0Emerald IridiumGrey to Clear TransitionNeutral
G40 Transition40% 2n/aG40 (8-40%)Increased ContrastChanging Conditions to Intense Sun Grey Transition38% 2n/a
Light Grey to Dark Grey (8-38%)NeutralChanging Conditions to Intense Sun
VR50 to Brown Transition50% 1n/aVR50 to Brown (10-50%)Increased ContrastChanging Conditions to Sunny

I use this lens when cycling near dusk. It is very effective as it turns clear once the sun goes down but while riding in the sun, it turns darker. It's not a perfect science in my opinion as it doesn't get as dark as true black iridium, but it does work as sunglasses when the sun is out. In my opinion, it is very good for cycling as it can adapt autmoatically without changing the glasses or lenses while on the ride. Hope this helps.

Back