• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help w/ first pair of Oakley Sunglasses - Holbrook - Custom? Covert?

runn3r29

Oakley Beginner
So I'm about to order a pair of Oakley Sunglasses but I have no place to see them in person.

I've narrowed it down to 3 options.

Option 1
Covert Prizm Daily Polarized Holbrook
Frame Color - Metallic Black
Lens Color - Prizm Daily Polarized

I like Option 1 Covert - but is the frame Black Matte or Polished? I can't find a good description. How are the lenses compared to Black Iridium Polarized or Gray?

Option 2
Polarized Holbrook
Frame Color - Matte Black
Lens Color - Black Iridium Polarized

I might like option 2 - but not sure if I would like Iridium lenses. I like simple, plain, boring, etc. Not into flashy ****. I just want simple black sunglasses.

Option 3
Custom Holbrook
Matte Black
Matte Icons
Gray Polarized Lenses

I really want Matte Black frames. Again, I think it just comes down to lenses. Would I be upset with simple Gray Polarized Lenses? Are the Black Iridium Polarized too bling/flash? Or should I just go with the Covert Prizm?

Disclaimer - I'm frugal (cheap) and this is my first pair of adult sunglasses. I usually stick with the $5 cheapies. What I buy, I like to keep for a really long time. So help an indecisive, cheap guy out.

Thx.

The iridium is a mirror finish so it will be alil "blingy"..I personally don't like grey polar,just not my thing..if you wanna go cheap try the Matt black/warm grey lenses..not flashy,block the sun and have nice soft feel when looking through them

Thx for the reply. Are the lenses in the Covert Holbrooks Iridium or no? From the description of the Prizm it wasnt obvious. At least to me.

How bright is it where you live? The daily prism polarized has a 14% light transmission while the BIP is down to 9%. I like the BIP for every day here in Phoenix, with all the bright sunny days, if you are in an area that isn't as bright you might like something with more light transmission. The glasses I have on in my pic to the left are BIP in the Turbine with matte black frames.

I would say my opinion reading what you said. I think you will be happier with option 2.
Think option 1 close second, but you say you like matt.
Option 3 will in my view look very dull, under stated. If your not use to paying money like this on oakleys then you need to really like them for what your spending on them.
Have you tried or held a pair of Holbrook? In my personal opinion as a professional designer and collecting oakleys for 20 years. Holbrook look good, have that typical style people associate with sunglasses.... but they feel cheap. I think frogskins are the same, but then you can get a frogskin lx with metal hinges. Just makes you, well me feel more happier with what your are paying. My mate stated collecting this year. He would spend max £10 on a pair of tatt, throw them around etc. Laugh at me when I cry marking mine. Lol. Last year his first pair frogskin lx eric koston. Now he owns a oakley cabinet and 11 pairs.
Good luck to your wallet pal. Haha

Makes sense and Im starting to understand now the differences.

To answer the question on where I live. Gloomy, overcast, cloudy ass Ohio. Something like 50% of our days are overcast. Prior to moving back to Ohio, we lived in Texas. Based off what I've learned, if I were living in Texas where its always sunny, BIP would be ideal.

I think living in Ohio changes things a bit, right? Does this make option 1 more suitable? Snow, overcast, gloomy days?

I would think a higher transition lens like the prism daily would be good. Have you looked at any of the charts? If you google "Oakley lens tin guide" a bunch of charts and info will pop up. That is where I started my search for what type of lenses I wanted. And if you want a certain frame and lens that aren't offered off the shelf you can always go to the Oakley Custom route. That's how I got my matte black frames with BIP lenses. Just go to the frames you want and see if it has the Customize now icon below it. I went to an Oakley store and they had all the frames and pieces stocked up separately and the guy built them on the spot for me.

I've got Holbook Prizm Daily Polarized, Matt Black Finish. I like this one a lot. Simple and plain, not flashy at all. Very traditional look.
I also have radarlock with multiple flashy Irid. Pol lenses. Lenses them self have different feel (look through) to it.
So not gonna judge which is good or bad. It just all up to your feelings.

1. OO Red Irid. Pol. I think it's just all around Len. (it might look little flashy).
2. Prizm Daily Pol. (Plain/simple but cost little more)
3. Black Irid. Pol (Plain/simple, mostly available. little too dark for my liking but I do have it and loving it)

So, Option 1 and 2 for me....heading little more to option 1 but.

Latest Posts

Back