• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help With My Older Oakley Prescription Sunglasses Please!

James Elmore

Oakley Beginner
Thanks in advance for your help/advice/insight!

I have linked to three pictures of the glasses in question below. If you need more pictures to help, just tell me what angle and I'll do it.

I bought this pair of Oakley straight jacket sunglasses several years ago, perhaps as many as five. I had prescription lenses put in them so I could use them for driving and shooting at the range. I love the fit and the fact that they are also total wrap-arounds as I also use them for playing poker. Anyway, I went today to get new glasses as these had been dropped and chipped, and I was told they don't make this exact model any more. They had NOTHING in the Oakley cabinet that was even remotely like mine. The lady told me I should buy another pair online and bring them in to get the lenses put in. If I'm going to do that, I might was well re-use the same frames and save some money - they are in decent shape.

My only problem with the current frames is that the soft covering on the temple is starting to rub off and looks crappy. I took a picture (linked below) but it is hard to see - hopefully you can notice the damage I'm talking about.

So my questions are:

1) Can I replace this soft covering? If so, what exactly do I need to order from the Oakley store to replace it?
2) Can anyone tell me what exact model these frames are? I can't find anything exactly like them on the internet to compare them to.
3) If I do decide to go with new frames, what frames are available currently that are most like this in terms of size, shape and design? It is important to me that I keep the wrap around style both because of safety at the gun range and keeping my eyes hidden at the poker table.

If it helps any, on the inside of one temple says "Straight" and the other says "Made in the USA."

Links to pics:

Front View: imgur: the simple image sharer
Side View: imgur: the simple image sharer
Damage to temple covering area: imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks again for any help. My Oakley's are probably the only really nice thing that I own in terms of accessories, and I love them.

What you have is the second generation of Straight Jackets. You can search "New Straight Jacket" to help narrow the results.

Unfortunately parts won't be as easy to come by as these are several years old and Oakley doesn't maintain parts support for discontinued frames.

The rubber parts you need are the "earsocks", which should peel off without much issue.

The third generation Straight Jackets (New Straight Jacket II, or Straight Jacket 2) use a much different type of rubber that is flatter in shape, so it's easy to distinguish. And luckily for you the rubber for the first generation is so hard to find you likely won't mistake the set you need for those.

Here's an example of rubber for the NEWER (not yours) model Sale SL Blue Rubber Arm Sleeve Nose Piece Oakley Straight Jacket 2 Sunglasses | eBay

Here's an example of the set you need. This pair is brown in color. If you can live with that, these will work. You CAN start calling Oakley directly and try to find someone helpful to look and check to see if they have old stock on hand. Once you get the SKU for the rubber kit (the part number) the search will be much easier. Oakley New Straight Jacket Rootbeer Ear Socks Brand New RARE | eBay

The other option is to do as suggested by the optometrist and get a new frame. You might end up spending as much on a frame as you would on just rubber alone!

Welcome to the forum and GOOD LUCK in your search!

Here's an example of rubber for the NEWER (not yours) model Sale SL Blue Rubber Arm Sleeve Nose Piece Oakley Straight Jacket 2 Sunglasses | eBay

Here's an example of the set you need. This pair is brown in color. If you can live with that, these will work. You CAN start calling Oakley directly and try to find someone helpful to look and check to see if they have old stock on hand. Once you get the SKU for the rubber kit (the part number) the search will be much easier. Oakley New Straight Jacket Rootbeer Ear Socks Brand New RARE | eBay

The other option is to do as suggested by the optometrist and get a new frame. You might end up spending as much on a frame as you would on just rubber alone!

Welcome to the forum and GOOD LUCK in your search!

THANK YOU! I will buy the brown ones for now while I look for black ones. I'll go ahead and take my frames back to get new lenses put in them, and that will get me another five years or so out of them. I really appreciate the help.

And if you would like to brighten them up. i know a company that can cerakote them for your pretty reasonably too. and it makes the frame look brand new.Then you just get some new lenses and rubbers and you will be all set.

My son ended up with my first generation Straight Jackets a year ago which have been through the mill. I decided to pick up new glasses for his b-day this past August but when we were looking he really didn't care for the latest version of them. What we ended up going with were the 20 model which is not crazy far from some of the earlier models. I hope this gives another option to consider.

Back