• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hi from the UK!

Mac

Oakley Beginner
Hi all, Mac here from Derby, UK.

I've been an Oakley fan since buying my first pair of XX's back in 1999/2000.
They are black with mirrored iridium lenses.
Apparently they are now considered "vintage"?!!!

I still have them and although a little battle scarred they are still great.
The arm hinges are a little loose and there don't seem to be any screws to re-tighten them but they stay on so that's OK.
Oakley sent me free replacement ear socks and nose pads several years ago to.
My next pair of Oakleys will likely be the Flak 2 with Prizm "Deep Water" lenses.

The original lens had picked up a few small scratches and it was affecting my view so I have just fitted a new pair of "deep blue" polarized replacements from Ikon in the US.
They fit perfectly and look awesome but I'm not so happy about the long, blue laser like flare lines that cut the lens in half when facing the sun (obviously not looking directly into it!)
My Maui Jim's don't do it and neither did the original Oakley (non-polarized) lens that I have just removed or my (non-polarized) Ray Ban's.
Yes a little amount of flare emanating from the sun or any very bright source but not a long wobbly laser line cutting across the lens (both) from top to bottom.
Actually it doesn't happen in bright light, unless there is a bright object (i.e. the Sun) in the field of vision.
Weird, I've emailed the guys at Ikon but they don't seem to be great at responding to emails...so far?
Has anyone else had this effect?
Perhaps they are defective?
Advice is welcome and it's great to be here!

Here's a pic of the flare but imagine that instead of multiple flares ending fairly close to the sun there is a single, blue, wobbly flare emanating right out across the whole height of the lenses, effectively cutting them in half.
As I said, only when the sun is in the direct field of vision though?!!!

flare.jpg

Hi guys and thanks, BTW Orion my sunnies are Oakley XX's (20's) not X Metals.
I should have been clearer.
Sorry just assumed :)

Not sure about the 20's if anyone does custom cuts on those.

Once you have access to the Exchange Forums you can post for items you are looking for. Almost certain will be some members with replacement parts..even for your models. But, you may have to really convince them to part with them :)

Sorry just assumed :)

Not sure about the 20's if anyone does custom cuts on those.

Once you have access to the Exchange Forums you can post for items you are looking for. Almost certain will be some members with replacement parts..even for your models. But, you may have to really convince them to part with them :)
Xmetalmanic and Chris hardway would still do it I believe you would have to send frame to them so they can get a perfect cut most likely..

Hi, I already have replacements via Ikon Lenses (via EBay) they fit perfectly and look great, just the flare thingy?
I know Revant Optics also do them for the 20's but the IKON's seemed to be a little better made....except for the flare thingy!!!

Has anyone else had any issues with light flares etc from after market lens replacements?

Hi, I already have replacements via Ikon Lenses (via EBay) they fit perfectly and look great, just the flare thingy?
I know Revant Optics also do them for the 20's but the IKON's seemed to be a little better made....except for the flare thingy!!!

Has anyone else had any issues with light flares etc from after market lens replacements?
I have Fuse and Seek lenses in a few pair and haven't noticed but when I head out in a short while I'll take a look and see if I notice the same effect you are. Both are Polarized lenses so this will be interesting

Back