1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. RexxCastle

RexxCastle Oakley Enthusiast

When i cerakote i usually bake at about 180 and know they hold up fine. Does anyone know about what the max temp before melting is? I have something i want to test that requires a bit higher temp but dont want to kill a good pair of frames testing it lol

Last edited: 8/20/15
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. fatmanontwowheels

fatmanontwowheels Oakley Enthusiast

I have a pair of Eyepatch 2 frames you can test with

3. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

I think @dr.chop may know the answer....but will he want to divulge the secret? Hmmmmmm.... ;)

dr.chop likes this.
  4. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

That's one of many things I like about Chop, he's always been very open and helpful with his self-taught knowledge base.

dr.chop and OakleyFrankFMJ like this.
  5. OakleyFrankFMJ

Yes true. I just felt the need for some cool mysteriousness. :)

Also, I prefer party cake frosting on my O-matters when they are baked. ;)

dr.chop likes this.
  6. RexxCastle

RexxCastle Oakley Enthusiast

I tried sending him a message but the option isnt there when i click his name, must be blocked lol

I was looking at about 500 Degrees, honestly i don't think they can handle it.

I have some Ceramic Chrome coating i use for metal gun parts and Car parts, it buffs to a nice chrome finish once cured. The Baking temp is the kicker for it, 500 is minimum up to 700

7. OakleyFrankFMJ

500? I don't think so either.

8. motoGP_fanatic

motoGP_fanatic Disciple of X-Metal

Imho,i think you cant go beyond 180 deg C for o matter.

9. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

www.drchopshop.com

10. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

you aren't blocked lol. I don't accept private messages from anyone anymore here. Emails are faster and easier. got overwhelming to manage messages from all the various forums, social media and texts... my time gets eaten up like twinkled at a fat farm in responding to them all lol...

as far as temps go, 180 is tops.. I've melted what we're supposed to be authentic frames at 180f already, so it's very iffy going above. things may not melt per se, but they will distort where lenses won't fit or shapes tweak a bit..

I'd love to see any o matter cured at 180c lol, that would be a sight for sure.

and yes, I'm super open with that self learned knowledge, just like the chef of your favorite meal at your favorite restaurant is lol... some things just have to be learned the hard way... and I've learned a lot, that way! it's quite expensive too lol. lost 18k in frames once, I don't share too much at that level

CarGuy likes this.