• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Holbrook Doubts

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
Hello fellas,
I was thinking in getting my transparent holbrooks a "shaun white look", I know the lenses can be swapped, but I'm not completely sure about the top corner pins or the O icon (I think this one is interchangeable). Would you have any insight how and if it is possible to remove the pins without totally breaking the donor frame?

Thanks!

ps. donor frame is indeed a set of "Goldbrooks" and they are quite busted, but I still don't want to totally destroy them

Hello fellas,
I was thinking in getting my transparent holbrooks a "shaun white look", I know the lenses can be swapped, but I'm not completely sure about the top corner pins or the O icon (I think this one is interchangeable). Would you have any insight how and if it is possible to remove the pins without totally breaking the donor frame?

Thanks!

ps. donor frame is indeed a set of "Goldbrooks" and they are quite busted, but I still don't want to totally destroy them
@mercbezerk may possibly have done custom stuff on one of his but not sure.

With regards to the dots. They aren't supposed to come out but they tend to fall out and get lost. O does not supply replacement dots either if I remember right. It's more like frame replacement.

If you can get them out without destroying them in sure others here would like to know how you did it too ;)

Many have tried, but I know of no-one who has succeeded.

As @OakleyFrankFMJ has mentioned... on the odd occasion, rivets have come loose and fallen out, but to get them back in is a nightmare within itself.

Your best bet for a make over is to tape around the base of the rivet and spray them the colour you're aiming for.

I'm tempted to trying, but I have a hunch that I'll probably brake everything once my patience runs out. Let see if there are any other responses before going berserk on the donor frame.
What about the icons? I haven't seen any tutorial about holbrooks, although I did find some replacable icons on ebay

The icons are easy to remove. Insert small sharp blade and they lift right up. It's just adhesive... But be careful.
The rivets are pressure mounted and a pain to remove. Like others have said.. They fall out by themselves but are hard to remove w/o scratching the frame.

Many have tried, but I know of no-one who has succeeded.

As @OakleyFrankFMJ has mentioned... on the odd occasion, rivets have come loose and fallen out, but to get them back in is a nightmare within itself.

Your best bet for a make over is to tape around the base of the rivet and spray them the colour you're aiming for.

You can wait till your ears turn green for other responses, but this one can be taken as the ultimate authority voice on Holbrooks.

You will lose patience with the rivets. You will damage the frame and whatever you throw the screwdriver at.

Paint them.

:)

You can wait till your ears turn green for other responses, but this one can be taken as the ultimate authority voice on Holbrooks.

You will lose patience with the rivets. You will damage the frame and whatever you throw the screwdriver at.

Paint them.

:)
Well then, I guess I'll have to try... I already feel bad just thinking of ripping Oakleys apart

So I'm currently waiting for some pieces to arrive in order to start the project. In the meanwhile I began analyzing the clear frame brooks and I did notice that the top corner pins/rives look like really small screws, and they are gold color inside the frame (I'll try to snap a pic later on, my PoS iphone can't seem to focus right), so I'm thing 2 things here. 1. I will try some really small tweezers (the ones ladies use to trim eyebrow) but covered in some type of rubber and try to unscrew the rivets. 2. If #1 doesn't work, I was wondering if I could use some type of paint thinner to remove the top black color coat from the rivet in order to leave it fully golden. I have no idea how this will go but I'll try to update every new accomplishment, discovery, swearing, bleeding (I'm certain I'll cut myself somehow), and what ever comes out. Wish me luck...

So I'm currently waiting for some pieces to arrive in order to start the project. In the meanwhile I began analyzing the clear frame brooks and I did notice that the top corner pins/rives look like really small screws, and they are gold color inside the frame (I'll try to snap a pic later on, my PoS iphone can't seem to focus right), so I'm thing 2 things here. 1. I will try some really small tweezers (the ones ladies use to trim eyebrow) but covered in some type of rubber and try to unscrew the rivets. 2. If #1 doesn't work, I was wondering if I could use some type of paint thinner to remove the top black color coat from the rivet in order to leave it fully golden. I have no idea how this will go but I'll try to update every new accomplishment, discovery, swearing, bleeding (I'm certain I'll cut myself somehow), and what ever comes out. Wish me luck...
Good luck

They aren't screws.

Back