• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Holbrook Restoration

pupp

Oakley Enthusiast
Charlotte, NC
So, I bought my first pair of Holbrooks in 2012 and have actually stuck with the frame since. Now three years later the frame's arms have become very loose and I thought this was a result of my exceptionally large head. After visiting an Oakley Vault, I was informed that dirt and oil can build up in the hinges and the person advised me to clean them. Last night, I decided to clean them and bam, the arms actually stay in place instead of dangling loose. I fee like I actually restored them to their original feel, has anyone else had the same success? Most people say you can't fix the frames if you widen them but I guess I didn't widen them. Also, I'm hoping I haven't damaged the plastic dimples that make up the hinges and wonder if anyone else has more experience with them than I do.

Hi, this is actually interesting.
@pupp : how did you clean them? did you just use basic soap and flushed or did you use the Oakley lens cleaner spray?
All my Oakleys are less than 1 year old so none of them has that issue yet but I guess it will happen sooner or later.
But I had to fix the issue with my Ray Ban Aviators as well as on my Rudj Project Rydon using a mini-screwdriver.

thanks!

I've tried cleaning out my Holbrooks and unfortunately haven't experienced the same results. Still loose arms

I've tried cleaning out my Holbrooks and unfortunately haven't experienced the same results. Still loose arms
ouch that's bad news. do you all feel that's inevitable on all the Holbrooks? It looks like there's no way to fix it by using a screwdriver here.. I hate loose arms on shades!

Yeah honestly I feel that is just the way of the world with these frames. plastic rubbing on plastic will eventually wear away. Sucks really.

Basically I just used some soap and water and it seemed to clean them out well enough, they're not quite as loose as they used to be. Of course that could just be pure luck for me that they happened to be tighter after working with them but they feel much better.

Back