• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Homemade Display Case?

There is no glass its all plexi. Not sure if they are all built the same but the plexi is simply sanwhiched between the aluminum. The only bolts are on the door.

Here's these. Not exactly what you're looking for but it's a start

485D1493-5D4E-4A32-8976-B1E1D4A7A51A-3700-000002C11B05267C.jpg

449C0BA2-F411-47E6-B327-B918EDEE9762-3700-000002C11B704789.jpg

Here's these. Not exactly what you're looking for but it's a start

Thats the second time we have seen that 14.75" number come up though. I'm guessing thats probably the size of there "cube" line of cases. Not a bad size if I may say so. And not a bad starting point for a "mockup"

I'm thinking 1.5" aluminum angle iron is the ticket. Lowes by me has 8' sections of 1/8" for $32 and 1/32" $16. My brain is telling me to go 1/8" and "make it a tank". My wallet says 1/32" "it'll be fine...."

The plexi on the other hand looks like it is going to be the expensive part. Oakley uses .393 strong, keep store items safe thickness. Lowes has some .220 as the thickest they carried there. $18 for a 18X24 sheet and $53 for a 24X48" sheet. This almost tempts me to take the size down to 14" to make the cuts easy. Or maby go to a cutter shop. Again not going to be cheap parts.

I am not sure about the base plate yet, part of me is thinking diamond plate. As diamond plate is awesome... I just dont know if its right here, mockups in order.

My advise is to go with 1/8" for both the angle and the plate. It'll be plenty strong and will weld easy.

For plexi, I went with glass as it looks better and was wayyyy cheaper.

Some more advice, go with a size that makes the least waste. You don't need to copy the size exactly.

Not sure if they are all built the same but the plexi is simply sanwhiched between the aluminum. The only bolts are on the door.

OK you just blew my mind here. I had thought I had it figured out... And true to most things in life. You don't really appreciate it until you dissected it to the point of not being able to reassemble... like your first remote control car...

I see now that Oakley has a "inner" one inch piece of angle aluminum that holds the sides against what we will call the 1.5" outer angle. Does the Plexi in the roof have anything special or is it just sitting on top of the walls? does that make the "rivets" in the top ring fake or do they have purpose in life?

I'm a bit worried that my welding project will muck up the clean, industrial lines of the design. But i'll throw down a bead and see how it looks before I decide how to build it.

My advise is to go with 1/8" for both the angle and the plate.
Some more advice, go with a size that makes the least waste. You don't need to copy the size exactly.

Roger that, kinda what I was leaning to after seeing the bar stock is not the big expense here anyway.

Yep, just trying to get a basic idea what size to make my cardboard mock up. I figure there is a reason they used the proportions they did. Makes it a good starting point. Oakley promotions department probably went to psychologists to figure out what proportions make the glasses look there best, lol

Can't help you for the top. I'm referring on a full size display, the top is not meant to be visible like the cube. And it houses lighting.

As for glass its a good idea, the plexi does scratch and swirl. Provided your not trying to make a replica. Getting glass custom cut ain't cheap either may be cheaper... but the plexi won't shatter if you bolt in in too tight....or move the unit and it flexes. Thats where you want to ensure the frame is solid.

Roger that, kinda what I was leaning to after seeing the bar stock is not the big expense here anyway.

Yep, just trying to get a basic idea what size to make my cardboard mock up. I figure there is a reason they used the proportions they did. Makes it a good starting point. Oakley promotions department probably went to psychologists to figure out what proportions make the glasses look there best, lol

I did my in a 3d modeling program. But after I built it. Designed that bad boy all in the mind.

I used mirror wall mounts to mount the glass in mine. Worked excellent

Back