• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Homemade Display Case?

Lighting is the last of your worries. The IKEA setup, some strip leds, puck lighting ...making the base light up with some white plexi...

Lighting is the last of your worries. The IKEA setup, some strip leds, puck lighting ...making the base light up with some white plexi...

I was just thinking the dioders because I had a spare set. I am also wondering if I even need glass. The frame itself will designate a home for the glasses and I can always add sides later. I have been thinking about moving too. Without sides the top can be welded and still collapse down for moving and then bolt it back together when it gets to its new home.

You are right, computer modeling is way easier than cardboard. I think you nailed the stock dimensions with that picture of the cube 3.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Was playing around a bit with design ideas. What about a wood base? Like/dislike? I don't want to take away from what inside, but the wood tone and aluminum go well together I think. I am really liking this latest render. You do need the aluminum logo in the center to hold it together though. I would have no idea where to find a logo like that. Maby the craft store and see if anything looks reasonable. I would hate to have to cast it myself.

Oakleywoodcopy.jpg

I have been working out the details on how the uprights will join to the wood base.

Unfortunately using 3/4" hardwood ply the bolts cannot go thru the sides of the wood block to bolt down. I have thought of rigging up dummy rivets over screws but that will make it more a permanent structure, and I want to be able to unbolt it for flat shipping(I have an idea I may need to ship the unit for)

The other idea I had was to weld a small triangle to the bottom of the upright and then screw into the wood from the bottom. This would also be a good spot to add a foot.

Any ideas how to attach the uprights to the wood block?

bottomdesign.jpg

bottomclosed.jpg

I am a bit worried about the design being wobbly. But At least with the top square welded that should be solid.

Latest Posts

Back