• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How do I say it, The quality just doesn't seem there.

I've got Juliets. I just wanted something other then the wires i've been buying in the last couple of years.
The twenties look nice but i'm just unsure about the newer material. Kinda freaked me out when I picked up a pair and there was nothing to them.
I mean you expect a wired frame to be light, but I didn't expect the weight to be a low on some of the new styles.

Don't worry about the weight... The new O-Matter is waaay better than the old stuff!
Believe me... I've got more pairs of broken Eye Jackets than I can count. I have yet to break a newer frame...

I Have never really liked some of the other top Brands. Most just don't compare. The biggest thing had been that when you hold the glasses and put them on. You feel them flex and hear the creak of the frame and lens this is the Radar and Flac Jacket. I mean My older M frames never did this. Batwolf you say that it could be from display models. I have checked around with mutiple locations looking at styles and colors. Most of them are the same. If a display model gets that loose after a while wouldn't that mean that when wearing them everyday would do the samething.

doowutchyalike I got a big head so I don't think an asain pair is going on this melon. And yes the strength is one of the things I meant. If the feel of the material is what has been designed for a lighter more flexible frame that works. The big thing that I was wanting to know was how are they holding up comparatively to the older generations.

Try a Matte Black frame. I have the same complaint about polished colors- the frames squeak and creak, and they just don't feel right, almost hollow and too flexible. I LOVE my matte black pairs, they feel the same as my older M Frames and a few frames from the early 2000's I had.

FMJ will also squeak a lot in the hinge, but feels really solid. They don't have the same creaky feeling when you flex the frame of a polished pair as you put them on.

I own both Radars and M Frames and I agree the Radar feels like it's got more twist to it, but that's likely due to the fact that the whole brow/orbital of the frame isn't under as much tension from the lens and is allowed more flex. I HATED the Radar the first few times I tried it on after wearing my M for years, but I got a matte black frame and I wear it in regular rotation. The polished crystal red framed Radar I have is currently up for sale, just doesn't feel the same.

I tried on the XXtwenty's I'm just wondering if you know how much bigger are the pit bull's? Is it like the whisker to square whisker.

The XX Twenty is a smaller pair (small to medium I would say). Pit Bull is one of the biggest frames that uses rubber on the earstems. Scalpel might be a bit bigger, but I am not a fan of that frame (creaky and flimsy). The Ten (X) is larger still, but does not have rubber on the stems or nose.

I tried on an FMJ PitBull today and I likely would have walked away with it if it fit what I was looking for. If the orbital was a bit taller like the Ten I'd probably own them.

FWIW I have a pair of Pro M-Frames from -98 and they have been my go-to glasses whenever i`ve been heading out for a road-or mtb-ride. Solid and dependable. So, I picked up a brand new pair or Radars last weekend and they sure do feel alot flexier, flimsier and generally not as solid as grandfather. We`ll see how it goes

If anything the quality has gotten better. With all the new technology making Oakley an even stronger brand. The newer models are lighter, and they're made to be lighter so they can help you perform better. No other company compares to Oakley tech, let alone the ability to change lenses or buy replacement lenses. Maybe your just trying them on at a bad location. The Batwolfs and Pitbulls are a great fit on most heads. They rarely creak or make noise. Lastly, you cannot compare a floor model to your new pair and how long they will last. Floor models are dropped and tried on by hundreds of customers a day. Unless your inviting your entire neighborhood over to wear your glasses everyday, it's not the same. It all basically comes down to how you take care of your glasses.

If anything the quality has gotten better. With all the new technology making Oakley an even stronger brand. The newer models are lighter, and they're made to be lighter so they can help you perform better. No other company compares to Oakley tech, let alone the ability to change lenses or buy replacement lenses. Maybe your just trying them on at a bad location. The Batwolfs and Pitbulls are a great fit on most heads. They rarely creak or make noise. Lastly, you cannot compare a floor model to your new pair and how long they will last. Floor models are dropped and tried on by hundreds of customers a day. Unless your inviting your entire neighborhood over to wear your glasses everyday, it's not the same. It all basically comes down to how you take care of your glasses.

I completely agree with this whole post. Technology has gotten better, the old frames won't break like their past counterparts and comparing worn displays to a new pair is a world of difference. Next time you go into the store ask if they don't mind you trying on a new pair, most associates won't mind getting you one to try out.

Next time you go into the store ask if they don't mind you trying on a new pair, most associates won't mind getting you one to try out.
I comlpetely forgot this trick. I was actually toled that by a sales rep before.

I appreciate the feed back on this guys. I just wanted to make sure, I try to keep a pair for life. Even if mistakes happen I buy extras.
Or thirds in the case of nearly losing an eye. You gotta love tested and true.

... I would like to know from anyone that has been wearing Newer XXTwenty, Pitbull, Batwolf, Fives squared. How do they hold up? How long have you had them? I really like the Violet Iridium lense in the Batwolf it reminds me of the 00Blue Iridium. I might have to get a new infinite juliet just to get some.

thanks Christian

I've had polarized Pit Bull for about a month. I like the big lenses and how they fit comfortably on my wide head. The frame, originating from each lens is a fine line that looks like a long straight scratch or crack. I looked at the store sample, and the sample had the exact same marks in the exact same locations, so maybe those were a plastic mold issue instead of cracks. I witnessed the sample model stretched like 3 or 4 inches wider than intended and it didn't break or make any noises like cracking. I think the hinge parts on Pit Bull seemed thicker than some of the other models' hinges, and this was important to me because I had New Frogskin & Polarized Straight Jacket hinges crack: stems & frame itself.

It is comforting to read that the o-matter material was changed to address the ridiculous frame cracking issues of many years ago. I really want my old cracked frames replaced with new o-matter material. It would be good if the stores had 3D printers that could print the old model frames using polycarbonate so at least I could salvage the old lenses.

There's a o-review website that has a short write up on o-matter and it says to stay away from the lifestyle models and crystal frames since those aren't as flexible as the sport frames. I suspect the frames made out of shiny plastic looking material are more flexible than the matte plastic ones.

EVERYTHING gets cheaper/crappier with each passing year, it's no surprise that Oakley has made changes to cut costs. I agree that the "feel" of the new stuff doesn't have the same premium "feel" of the old stuff, but look at a pair of $10 el-cheapo shades from 10 years ago, and compare them to todays el-cheapo shades and you'll see the same thing. The bar has been lowered continuously over time, and will continue to be lowered. That's what a competition-based economy requires.

I
doowutchyalike I got a big head so I don't think an asain pair is going on this melon. And yes the strength is one of the things I meant. If the feel of the material is what has been designed for a lighter more flexible frame that works. The big thing that I was wanting to know was how are they holding up comparatively to the older generations.

On "Asian Fit" these are actually made wider, less rounded not actually smaller so this version may fit better.
Ive had Pit Bull for a year now worn most every day. They are my fishing glasses as well. They have held up very well still tight on hinges. I use lots of sunscreen on ears and Unobtainium fine. Even with the sunscreen/sweating the glasses hold without a hint of slipping. They dont have the creak flex that was mentioned. Overall been extremely pleased with them.

Latest Posts

Back