• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Carry Your X-Metals?

Would the R1s Fit into this case? i think i remembered reading about r1s being able to fit into this case or the x metal case, i have the x squared x metal case but it doesn't seem to fit my R1. the sides are protruding out and as much i love my R1. Its really a pain in the @ss to bring them out and have a good case to fit them when i'm indoors. I have the x metal "metal" vault but i think its abit crazy to bring that case out. I dont like the idea of putting them on top of my head either as i always gel my hair. Ideas please .... :unsure:

Would the R1s Fit into this case? i think i remembered reading about r1s being able to fit into this case or the x metal case, i have the x squared x metal case but it doesn't seem to fit my R1. the sides are protruding out and as much i love my R1. Its really a pain in the @ss to bring them out and have a good case to fit them when i'm indoors. I have the x metal "metal" vault but i think its abit crazy to bring that case out. I dont like the idea of putting them on top of my head either as i always gel my hair. Ideas please .... :unsure:

Lose the hair gel... :D

........ Now why didn't I think about that ...... But won't the r1s placed on the head cause the stress on the lens ?

........ Now why didn't I think about that ...... But won't the r1s placed on the head cause the stress on the lens ?

Depends on how big your noggin is. If that position pushes the earstems out more, yes. But otherwise the earstem tips are in about the same position, just pivoted. It's when you have to pull the earstems out more to put them on / take them off in a traditional manner that most risks stress cracks.

And some cutters here have figured out how to slightly modify lenses so they avoid the stress crack problem, slightly shaving down one particular spot.

That I do not know for sure. I'm a Juliet guy and don't have any R1's. As long as they aren't longer than the Juliets then they should be just fine. Maybe somebody else could chime in on the length of R1s vs Juliets.

I always use soft vaults In my hand luggage and have never had a problem (touch wood). I usually take 2 pairs on trips/holiday with me as I like a change and always at least one x metal. I have an Oakley duffel bag with the 2 zipped ends so there's plenty of room, but not so stuff is rattling around. Wearing wise, I try to keep them on my face as much as possible, even nipping indoors if I can still see easily as it really reduces the potential of a mishap. I don't usually wear them on my head after catching a van roof with a pair a few years back and scratching a brand new set of VR28 polars, so in the soft vault they go straight away if I take them off. This is slightly off the subject I know, but I also try not to, put them down on tables too often, especially in restaurants, as waitresses literally aim for them when bringing your meal. They slide plates and cutlery very quickly and almost caught me out in my earlier days.... It doesn't matter how far away you think you've tucked them, they'll find them!

Like @discostu , I put them in a soft vault in hand luggage. I never set out to buy any X-metal soft vaults, you just seem to get them when you collect the glasses and then I'm sure they breed!

On the face, on top of my head or in one of the large metal X-Metal Vaults which I have several of floating around. You don't mess around with X-Metals. although the frames are quite durable, the lenses are NOT and now discontinued so as years pass, OEM grade A lenses will be harder to find if you mess up a set.

Back