• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Know?

greg

Oakley Expert
Philadelphia
hey guys been thinking about selling my entire collection. Everytime I think I am done collecting, I find even more rare and more expensive glasses to buy. I think I may be calling it quits... How do you know what its time to say "no more" ????

Last edited:
When the desire is gone.

I haven't bought any new glasses in months. But the Carbon Blade and C-6 are on my list to eventually maybe get. Until then I'm doing a few customs here and there, selling some stuff I've lost the passion for.

same here. losing the fire too. simply trying to acquire more of what i already have (x metals) but at decent prices. if my budget is not met, i simply pass. my wallet is thanking me...

Yea, I lost the fire too, here is what I am going through... I always got a thrill hunting a pair down and then finding it at an affordable price. Then just knowing I had it was enough... Now that I have owned my grail for awhile now its no longer the same and I just dont find joy in knowing that I have it. Plus, everytime I go to make a big purchase something else pops up. Its never ending and I am getting sick of it, so I am thinking this might be the end of the oakley line for me

... Now that I have owned my grail for awhile now its no longer the same and I just dont find joy in knowing that I have it.....

damn...and i thought i was the only one that felt this way. because every time i read the forum, i always see the latest purchases of another member, and i think to myself, "am i alone in losing the fire?" haha, guess not...not sure if i will get out of this funk. but definitely true for me, owning my grail is not as enjoyable as the hunt for it.

I'm no longer after the pursuit of more. I have below 50 pairs, I'll be cutting back to sub-20 soon. But the 20 are customs, a Romeo, and the pairs I wear often.

My joy of the collection isn't gone, it's just focused. I'm not done by any stretch, but I'm not interested in buying every pair. Well, that's not true, if I were to win the lottery tomorrow I'd likely buy all sorts of crazy, stupid Oakleys. But in all reality, as much as I might want some sweet Fuel Cells the reality is they'd sit in the case and I'd sell them in 6 months.

I've never had a large, or even a small collection by the standards of this community. Most I've had at one time is around 5 pairs, because they all had a specific use. I slowly trimmed that down to 3 pairs and added additional lenses to make up for the gaps after selling some pairs. From that I trimmed even farther to just 1 pair and that's all I've had until today when a new pair arrived, but again that has a specific purpose (safety glasses for work).

While I do plan to add a couple more pairs again now that I've got a much better job and live in a place with much lower cost of living, I've never been a hoarder of Oakley's and I doubt I'll ever be. I have 2, my wife as 1 (probably adding a 2nd soon), and I'd like to get an R1 and maybe a 2nd XX and that's about it. I've got lenses and rubber to change the looks if I want, and I just don't see the point of having a $300+ paperweight sitting in a case when my family is far from set for life.

So I guess for me the answer is, I've always known when the time to say no more was, and that's when I stopped having a practical use for them. Much like Rustpot if I hit the lotto or something that mindset might change but that isn't very likely.

Its the thrill of the hunt, the epic find, then onto the next one. Pace yourself, enjoy what you have. Collecting is an art, trying to obtain too fast causes you to burn out quicker. There was a time when throwing in the towel was an option for me. I just got bored of it and moved on to something new. I keep myself busy with my other mad skills, I come up with off the wall stuff to do not necessarily Oakley related and that breaks up the monotony. I use to collect 1/18 scale diecast cars, I quit because I ran out of room. In essence I could have just stopped at around 400 cars but I began to sell off some to make room. For some reason I just quit all together. Every now and then I find one I have to have. Many members on here have gone balls to the wall and bought up everything in sight to do just what? Post up what they bought, get some comments from members, and within a very short time everyone forgets, just to have it start over again, or sell their stuff and move on. Some people realize this all to late, they get caught up in the hunt.....

Its the rush of the find, it the pinnacle of the day for most people. To show off their latest purchase only to feel, WTF did I just buy, within a few days. Some buy low and flip for a profit. Dont hide, we know who you are, you think selling someone's stuff for them we don't know who it really belongs too? Are you in it for the profit, or for the excitement of the find. It really doesn't matter. If you are happy with what you do, and you pace yourself as to not burn yourself out, then you will enjoy what you do. I love my roadtrips, its getting out, meeting people and making friendships. Friendships grow over the simplest items. Oh how some plastic, metal and yes.... Carbon fiber has brought some of us together......

Exactly they sit then you sell them... My collection once consisted of a tron with ice polar, R2 Scelzi, a PRISTINE bob head, I owned 2 polished black PB1 at different points, several jupiter camo frogskins that I simply gave away to hot girls telling them scarlett johansson wears them, I still own a BRAND NEW pair, and I cuurently own the following...jupiter camo jawbone, another custom jawbone dark grey and black with ice polar, 3 juliets, I just sold my complete xmetal ruby penny, a mph marine fade frogskin, and for my daily wearable I have a matte black flak with ice polar lenses, white chrome ice polar scalpel, and a split jacket.

As for my grail I have a brand new pristine no cracks Romeo 1 that @Dallas O Hog has had his eyes on for a long time. The passion is no longer there.

And I didnt even mention all my lenses I have a but load of juliet lenses jade 2x, ichiro, etc etc etc plus jawbone lenses

Last edited:
@Hando buys eveything he see's he once even bought a pair of IH juliets right off the guys face haha!!!! I hope he dosent get burned out of collecting

Back