• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Know?

I have bought and sold Oakley's for over 20 years. I now only have about 40 pair. I pretty much only buy what I will wear (Except my OTT)
Pretty much anything you do in life if it is excessive will burn you out. I try not to get caught up in the....."I have to have that pair"
Finding that deal is great fun but also comes with great time involved.
If I see a deal and it is close to me i will jump on it. I really do not go out of my way to buy anything.
I too have thinned out my collection but my passion for the brand still lives!!
Just pace yourself and enjoy what you have.
Good Luck

I think we all go through the feelings you are having. With me it isn't that I lost the fire I just became obsessed. I was up all hours of the night waiting for the next ad to hit, driving all over central US and spending money like there was no end. I actually had to force myself to stay off the computer. One thing I would recommend to you is if you're not selling because of money pack everything up and put out of sight and just forget about it. If the passion ever comes back pull your stuff out of storage and you can start back up. If you have a large collection and you try to sell a lot at once get ready for a huge task. I posted 5 pair of glasses today and go 17 different PM's with about 40 total back and froths, a lot of tire kickers. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Sucks because I'm getting there. I let both my OTT go and I wasn't upset at selling. Same thing has happened to several other pairs ; (

Hmmmmm same here for me its an on and off thing i rarely sell though i let it rot in the closet as much as i can sometimes you get bored but after a few weeks or days or months or so you get exited again. I remember started collecting in the year 2000 and stopped around 2008 then got to join the forum this year and got the passion for it again but mostly with x metals only.

Rofl Greg, I do buy everything I see. And I keep coming to the realization that I drop way too much money into this.

The saddest part is that people now know I'm good for the money so they spot me out like a week before payday. "Hey man, I've got this for you, I'll send it now, just send me the money when you get it". For reals. I'm already broke on payday... before the money even hits my account.

I've definitely got two problems.. a compulsive spending problem, and a hoarding problem. (Not like on the show hoarders, that's disgusting)

I justify my hoarding by wearing what I can.. but it usually comes down to just X-Metals.

I have Minutes, Original XX's, Straight Jackets, Tons of Frogskins (Just snagged a new pair of Sunday BMX's as a matter of fact), Flak Jackets, Half Jackets.. Fuel cells which I will NEVER wear cause they look silly on me. The entire movie set of 3D Gascans, again something I'd never wear. Hell, even some MotoGP Plaintiffs which look ridiculous on me, but they were a good deal. I bought four pairs of blenders when they were on the vault for 38 bucks... These are all things I will never wear. I convince myself that I'll pick them up and turn it all around maybe later for a profit.. but I never do. (You should see my Warhammer 40k collection, it's worse).

So, I think I need to drop all my plastic pairs.. except maybe the Sundays cause man, they're cool. Stay with the X-Metals I have.. Maybe free up a few Plasmas.. cause for some reason those reproduce like Rabbits.. and not buy anything new.

My fire wouldn't burn out, my fire would keep going. It paused for a few months, but it started right back up again cause.. boredom or something, I don't know. I just need to learn to control that fire :p

Did anybody else ever tell themselves, "Oh, thank god this new plastic stuff is garbage, at least I won't have to worry about wanting to buy upcoming stuff".. and then try on that one newer pair? I tried on the OD Eagle Flaks and was like, 'Holy crap, these were made for me'.. three days later I had two more pairs of Flaks. Frogskins, same thing.. they're like the got damned pokemon of sunglasses.

Maybe free up a few Plasmas.. cause for some reason those reproduce like Rabbits.. and not buy anything new.

Heh, sometimes look at my Juliets and wonder "Did I really buy all these plasmas?" :)

I've set myself a collecting goal, but I'm avoiding finding out how I will feel at the "end" by taking lots of sideways steps along the way...

I'd still wear the Juliets, so can't see myself divesting of the lot. That said, I have quite a few Holbrooks too and the last time I wore any of those was just cos that was what is in the car (and the journey started cloudy, occupational hazard living in the UK).

I think thanks to this thread I'll be getting rid of
A few pairs of Frogskins.. Soft Touch, Sea Foam, Marine Fades, Blacklights, IH
All the plastic crap, Minutes, XX's, Straight Jackets, Plaintiffs (Not plastic, but uck), Blenders, Flaks, Half Jackets, Fuel Cells, even the 3d Gascan set.
A bunch of Plasma Juliets

Leaving me with X Metals, OTT, a few important (These were my first real pairs), and a few frogskins.. will have trouble deciding on the Frogs!

Personally, I agree completely with xmetalmaniac's post.

I've been collecting one thing or another pretty much my whole life, or at least as long as I've had money to spend. I may move from one thing to another as the interest hits me (usually driven by interest in something new, not loss of interest in the current collection) but I almost never sell it off; that's just me. And sometimes I come back around to an earlier interest and pick up where I left off.

Pacing yourself is the only way to go, IMHO. When I first joined the forum I went crazy and bought a bunch of stuff in a short period of time. But now I've mentally given myself a monthly budget (equals about one pair of lower-end price range x-metals a month, or their equivalent). It forces me to avoid the impulse buy (and, hopefully, the sometimes "buyer's remorse") and to plan ahead for what I want to do and how long it'll take to get there. So instead of blowing a big wad to immediately fulfill my next plan and then sitting there thinking, "ok, now what?", the same pursuit and enjoyment is stretched over a longer period of time, and is perhaps even more satisfactory once you get there.

And I'm not into having just for the sake of having and then let it just sit there on a shelf. I try to use everything I collect (and to collect useful stuff), and I think that also increases your appreciation of it. I was reading a book the other month that expressed this sentiment quite eloquently; maybe one day I'll dig it back out and post the quote somewhere around here.

Latest Posts

Back