• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Strip?

Stripped the Whiskey today! I have to touch up a few spots...but overall, it looks great. Now, I need to figure out what lens I will put in them.

Hey guys! Hopped onto the bandwagon as well and purchased a pair off someone in my local community who is also on the boards!

Anyway just to check, the pair I have seems to be partially stripped and a tinge of whiskey brown still lingers. Any tips to totally strip off the brown tint? Also at the icons and nose bridge areas, it seems really tough to strip the paint off as it appears more matte clear than polished clear! Will post pic tmr to make it clearer for you guys!

Qns is, how to achieve the desired polished clear look?

Hot water bath and scrubbing - How hot, for how long should it be soaked and scrubbed with?

Alcohol- sorry for the noob qns but does alcoholic swaps count? Have plenty in office! And will the alcohol eat into the frames?

Any help is very much appreciated!! :D

I boiled them a few times, removed rubbed the coating then returned to the boiling pot and repeated more times that I counted. Once I felt no more progress could be had from boiling, I used rubbing alcohol and a terry towel to remove the remainder. Q-Tips dipped work great for the small areas around the icons and hinges. After the alcohol bath I returned them to boiling water and toweled dry.

I used boiling water a few times and it was too much elbow grease for me, so I switched to alcohol and it came off much quicker and easier. Like Obiwan said....after the alcohol rub-down I boiled them again to get any residue off.

Back