1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. canhoto

canhoto Oakley Beginner

I don't know how many of you got to watch this (it's a huge American program anyway, so I'd guess many), though I didn't catch any threads on this. I only saw this today and being European, it was eye opening (no pun intended) to see this. Oakley is mentioned towards the end as the so called merger or buy-out was not as friendly as one would think:

Sticker shock: Why are glasses so expensive? - 60 Minutes - CBS News
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. 702baby

702baby Under The Electric Sky

There was actually a thread for this, forgot the title but I definitely remember this documentary being discussed here, I'm sure someone here has more info about this
  3. reggavegga

reggavegga Oakley Expert

Oakley is owned by them but kept seperate from them. If that makes sense. I live about 16 miles from Lux. building.
  4. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

You look at all those glasses on the show, and everything looks so cheap compared to Oakley.
  5. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Just like any other huge corporation what is the main goal ? Squeezing out as much profit as possible from as little as possible. Just squeeeeze the blood from that stone!
  6. V2oak

V2oak Oakley Man from Manila

Is JJ really out of the company or he still has some shares? And is it the reason why oakley has china made frames because it was run and owned by Luxotica?
  7. Juleye Exclusive Eyewear

Juleye Exclusive Eyewear http://www.juleye.nl

Believe me, Lux will only get bigger. They recently acquired Alain Mikli too. And got the licenses for Armani back which were at Safilo for the last ten or so years...
  8. dave m

dave m Oakley Enthusiast

I first heard about Lux when the oakley deal was being finalised,I was in an optitians when a rep came in with a broucher covering what seemed like 80% of the stuff they sold.I did not realise they either owned or made glasses for so many brands, the owner of the shop said to me then they were getting oakley and had no plans to stop.It is amazing to think how little average glasses cost and that you can now get a full set of 'scription specs for less than £10.
    There does seem to be a bit less outrageous mad science in the designs these days though.
  9. Obombed

Obombed Oakley Beginner

I think JJ left Oakley after the buy-out and started Red Digital Cinema; a company making lenses for cameras. From what I hear, he is doing the same thing to the camera lens industry with Red that he did to the sunglass industry with Oakley.

What concerns me about Luxottica owning Oakley (among many things) is that they may stop their creative ridiculousness. What is so awesome about Oakley (besides the quality) is that they would allow themselves to push the creative limits of the industry. Zero 0.3, OTT, medusa, to name a few.
    One example of this is how x-metals left the scene after lux came in.
    Being in the sunglass industry, I know what sells: Black and tortoise shell, wayfarers, wraps, and aviators. I'm scared Lux will make Oakley into a brand geared solely for sales and will stop creating. Hopefully not...
  10. NiGHTSx2

NiGHTSx2 Oakley Collector

We can't blame Lux fo the lack of creativity. As it's been said before, most of the frames coming out now were designed several years back, before Lux had a chance to get too involved.