• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Loose Should New X Square Lenses Be?

El Guapo

Oakley Beginner
Colorado
All,

I bought a new pair of polished carbon/BIP x square and noticed one of the lenses is a little loose.
I went back to the O store in Kansas City yesterday to replace them, but they didn't have any more in stock.
The guy took a t-6 screwdriver and tightened the orbital screw, but "muffin topped" the gasket. The lens felt great, but the gasket looked like it was about to pop like an over inflated tire.

So my question is: is a little play in the lens ok OR keep the orbital screw tight and suffocate the gasket to keep the lens completely still?

I wouldn't keep the gasket like that. Slightly loosen the screw till that goes away then see how it is. If still bad then you can add floss to the inside of the orbital to tighten it up. Other than that or dif lenses call Oakley warranty. Others on here might have other ideas so keep checking. Doesn't hurt to call Oakley though.

No frame expert, but I've never seen a loose lens before. There might be an issue with the lens itself, or the frame. I would give Oakley a call and tell them the frame has to be tightened an excessive amount for the lens not to move, then see what they say.

The orbital gaskey may not be seated properly against the lens. I would loosen the screw and make sure the gasket is there correctly then retighten (but not too tight).