• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Many Have A Style Switch & What Colourway. What Do You Think Of Them?

Chop, my point is that almost everything is made in China now and assembled in US so no matter what all styles are affected by the production changes, not just the Style Switch.

I am not in anyway defending Chinese made products or Oakley's decision to move production to China.

Playmaker - You have no idea what you're talking about

Chop, my point is that almost everything is made in China now and assembled in US so no matter what all styles are affected by the production changes, not just the Style Switch.

I am not in anyway defending Chinese made products or Oakley's decision to move production to China.

Playmaker - You have no idea what you're talking about
I hear what you are sayin bro...100% and I wasn't coming down on you, just enlightening the obvious...The lines have been drawn in the sand so to speak, and some will ultimately settle because they have no choice, others won't.

Take for example my Milwaukee 18v Cordless Hammer Drill. Hands down, the very best money I have spent in a power tool. It was made in Germany (yup, last of a dying breed) and has lasted me well over 14 years. I have beat it senseless, they replaced both battery packs almost 6 years into them (yeah nicad too), and i tore it apart once and re-greased the gearbox when it started making noise. I just finally bought a new combo and the damn things are made in China...I believe. I bought Ridgid li-ion 18v drill and impact set. After tons of research, they have the best ratings, have the strongest warranty as long as you follow the proper steps to register your tools, and have killer specs. I bought the whole set for the price of just the batteries for my Milwaukee. Don't get it confused though, I kept that badass Milwaukee, cuz one day I will swap it over to their li-ion setup and she will plug right along. But the bottom line is this: with the drill, I had no choice. I don't believe any tools are made here 100% anymore, so it was finding the best bang for my buck. With shades, it will be the same unfortunately.

The problem for Luxoakley is that they will no longer have that as a differentiation against a competitor, and if they are skimping on material quality while also jacking prices up, it won't be but a matter of time before people just say F it. I know I have limited my purchases a gigantic amount. There are a few, and by few I mean damn select few pairs I will even look at, none of them are Chinese. I would rather buy a vintage pair and rehab it completely than buy a Chinese piece of sh!t. Sorry, but that's just it. Just like I would rather buy a foreign car made here than buy a foreign made domestic.

Pit Boss II is made in the USA as well. The frame is molded in Southern California. The lenses are molded and cut in SoCal as well. The titanium plates are made in china. The assembly of the finished good is also SoCal. dr. Chop, if you care about made in the USA, what kind of care do you drive?
I drive a German car. That's what I drive. Prior to it, I drove american made Chevy trucks (not the mexican or canadian made models) and Made in USA Kia...and maybe I stand corrected on Boss 2 frame being molded elsewhere, big deal, it's still not 100% Made In USA, which I believe, and may also be wrong, is against California Law to label as such if it is not sourced 100% of American parts. I know it applied to Tekin, manufacturer of R/C car electronics. They had to remove any and ALL references in adverts and packaging that stated Made In The USA because they were built of foreign sourced components as well as domestic. Again, I would have to research back the specifics of that, but it is fact they were forced to stop labeling that way. It's only a limited amount of time before it isn't. I try to do my best to keep all my business here, but it's dumb ass corporations forcing us to accept outsourced crap. You think for one second it is good business? Nope. Kiss your molds, designs, and patents goodbye when you start outsourcing, because they copy everything.

here is an article about the "mislabeling" of merchandise that Kwikset lost because some parts were made in Taiwan
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=7923814

another that goes into the law deeper about proper labeling, and more so on components used not made in the USA.
http://www.lacba.org/showpage.cfm?pageid=10183

I agree Chop, it's sad and will kill Oakley eventually IMO.

I'm just tired of the endless complaining. I understand but at the same time nothing can be said that will change their business practices. I'm sure this was the plan from the beginning after Lux bought Oakley, but took a few years to get things lined up.

The complaining could reach very important people at this specific time on this forum whether there is a change or not its a different story

as long as thd company stock price doesnt fall, nothing will change. as i said in another thread-as complaining by some enthusiasts has increased in recent years, the Lux stock price has skyrocketed. there are multipe reasons for this but clearly lower costs and increased profits....two things boosted by outsourcing, are what investors like to see. i believe what is a Lux monopoly on all things vision related worldwide is another-and boy wouldnt you feel happier buying stock and at a higher price if you knew nobody would compete with you? now, some might say well people will ultimately walk away from a low quality product. hmmm...not if they dont know any better they wont. when i bought my first Oakleys they were 100 times better than the cheapy frames i came from....until i bougbt X Metals i didnt know it got any better. the average consumer doesnt know any better, if they even care at all

The problem for Luxoakley is that they will no longer have that as a differentiation against a competitor, and if they are skimping on material quality while also jacking prices up, it won't be but a matter of time before people just say F it. I know I have limited my purchases a gigantic amount. There are a few, and by few I mean damn select few pairs I will even look at, none of them are Chinese. I would rather buy a vintage pair and rehab it completely than buy a Chinese piece of sh!t. Sorry, but that's just it.
Adding to what Chelas and Bat just said....this is exactly the message that needs to get through to the brass at Lux/Oakley.

Twoface is made in China. Styleswitch in made in the USA. Both are of the same high quality as any Oakley product.
I'm pretty sure Style Switch is labeled as made in China. I remember seeing it either on the earstem or the box. I will have to check if I make it over to the Vault tomorrow.

Wow! I am surprised its all negative, so far. I like them because they fit really good and look really good and that's what its about for me. I do have to say they feel fragile, especially the switch lock, but I am very gentle with my glasses, so not an issue. I have other pairs that I need to be careful with as I am sure most of you do too. They can't all be Flaks

Latest Posts

Back