• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Many Have A Style Switch & What Colourway. What Do You Think Of Them?

Wrong. Ask anyone in Oakley engineering or manufacturing who has worked on the product and they will confirm that it is made at FHR.

If that were the case the packaging would be stamped "Made in US."

So either the frame isn't made in the US or the lenses aren't. Considering they are labeled as "Assembled in US," I would assume the frame is brought over from China then has the lenses installed and packaged at HQ.

I would agree that the frame is foreign. The lenses are well known to still be made in the USA (just a matter of time on that I'm sure) and I've checked recent replacement lens boxes and they say made in the USA. So it really depends on what your definition of MADE in the USA is; according to the FTC, MADE in the USA means that-otherwise they wouldn't have a different classification for Assembled in the USA which is as follows (remember these companies know the limit to which they can push without losing a certain designation-watch companies like Invicta have been doing it with the Swiss Made designation for years)

A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.
Example: A lawn mower, composed of all domestic parts except for the cable sheathing, flywheel, wheel rims and air filter (15 to 20 percent foreign content) is assembled in the U.S. An "Assembled in USA" claim is appropriate.
Example: All the major components of a computer, including the motherboard and hard drive, are imported. The computer’s components then are put together in a simple "screwdriver" operation in the U.S., are not substantially transformed under the Customs Standard, and must be marked with a foreign country of origin. An "Assembled in U.S." claim without further qualification is deceptive.

NOW-the key is "substantial transformation"; to MY mind taking frame components, screwing them together and adding lenses is such a tranformation from pieces to a pair of sunglasses.

also, the designed in USA? thats a key part of the assembled designation, if youre manufacturing practically all the parts somewhere else but keeping design and product management and final assembly here, you can qualify for Assembled designation

Hey Playmaker, I went to the store today and took pics of some of the eyewear boxes. You may or may not be shocked but this proves what I was saying before.

Jupiter Carbon
2utujy4e.jpg

Style Switch
4a7erura.jpg

Newly packaged Fuel Cell
ymaqahem.jpg

So there you have it. I don't know how much more proof you need than that.

Attachments

• 2utujy4e.jpg
    2utujy4e.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 4a7erura.jpg
    4a7erura.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 132
  • ymaqahem.jpg
    ymaqahem.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 176
It is NOW made in China but wasn't before.

The only way to track when it started would be to lock down production dates from the box but that might be tricky. All I know is that it changed in the past few months.

Isn't the lenses made by Luxotica ? and isn't Luxotica Italian based? then the lenses haven't been made here in a while either?

Back