1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. OakleyBoss

OakleyBoss Moderator Staff Member Administrator

Was discussing this with someone recently, and was curious if anyone knows how many total X-Metals were produced? Not talking about frames/color combos etc. but actual pairs (i.e 1 Million). Obviously this is known for some limited editions, especially when they are serialized, but I wasn't sure if there is any ballpark overall.

STavros likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. STavros

STavros Land of the Gods and ....Molon Lave

Great thread.I was wondering the same the other day myself.One i know for sure.That of all the production oakleyforum members must own the 80% if not more of them :)

TheWannaBe and OakleyBoss like this.
  3. the_owl

the_owl Oakley Expert

The X Squareds had the shortest run, so I would think there is less of those. But they dont seem to be as valuable

4. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

My WAG would be 5 million. Just in Romeos alone there probably were a half million. I think I've seen XM, Plasma and Titanium R1 serials into six figures; if there were 160,000 of each made well you're at 500,000 there alone.
    Then the Juliets! All of the Juliets! How many XM Rubies, XM Black, Polished Fire, Plasma Fire, Plasma Ice? Tons.
    Considering the overall volume it makes you understand why they stopped putting serials on the everyday colorways- why do that extra step a million or so times?

TheWannaBe likes this.
  5. TheWannaBe

TheWannaBe The O-Warrior Premium Member

If there are so many out there how comes I have such a hard time getting them!!! Pain in the AS* :mad-35:

6. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

I doubt Oakley knows how many they made.

But... 5 million... That would be like 1000 pairs per day 300 days a year for 16 years? Could there really be that many? I was under the impression that the manufacturing capacity was a couple hundred max on the very best days with all hands on deck... That might bring the 5 mil WAG down a bit?

Granted the 40-some flavors of Juliets may very well push them up past 1 million. I can't fathom nearly that much molten Ti alloy being processed for the other styles. Maybe a couple hundred thousand of each, no more than a quarter million of the others (not Romeo or Juliet) including warranty pairs?

That said even if we cut the 5 million WAG in half that is still close to 500 pairs per day, which seems like a lot considering the manual labor involved in each pair and the discretion of that program.

Regardless, with non-serial and warranty pairs we will likely never know...

7. CarGuy

Ok, maybe that was a little high but I bet the number is pretty staggering.

8. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

I believe.....most are in a drawer or people are still wearing them.the forum members and there collections are a very small percentage of the total number made.

mjt42, joecool862 and pjd1234 like this.
  9. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

No way to know for sure but I think the logic being considered here is the best way to guess - if someone with real knowledge on the subject could speak to the factory's production capacity, we could do the math to speculate the max that could have been produced...

10. CarGuy

It does make for interesting fodder!