• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Many Pair Would You Say Requires A Case?

I always went between 6 to 10 pair with buying and selling. I think when I actually got my case home I had 8 pair. Now I have 12. Either way it still looked bare with just glasses. There was an easy way to solve this. I put the boxes in there, with the bags outside of them, then laid the glasses on the box straddeling the sides. I still had empty shelves so what I did was put some expensive Crown Royal in there. XR, XO, Cask No.16, and some Rock Hill Farms. I then added 3 autographed Detroit Tigers hates and two autographed baseballs. I also have some United States Marine Corps mugs in there.

Ok I am up to 16 pair. I know its not a lot but I have only been actually collecting for 6 weeks. So I am about to go to ikea and get me the dorf display. I am sure when I do and I invest 100.00 In it for lighting etc someone near me will list a single
I found a vault on craigslist for $295....and then the lighting is about $25 if you find the right kit at IKEA

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think a single pair is worthy of displaying in a case if you want, but I would have to agree with earlier comments. Get a case, but you will probably want an Oakley case soon. Skip the trouble and the irritation you may experience in a couple months when you wish you had just gotten an Oakley display. Start hunting and when you find the one, you will be very pleased. Good luck!

I got my first case when I had like 5 pairs and it was a big double wide. Now the case is full :) my feeling is once you add a case you get very irritated by empty spaces... It's motivation to expand your collection and be in the hunt for cool off the wall items like pop cards, dog tags, stands, other display items that are really just as cool as the glasses in some cases. So a case is a must :)

i have 16 pairs in one Ikea case. i feel like i have one or two too many to display them how i want in that case. lol. i might have to get one more case in a few months.

Hmmm... dead thread revival, but of a topic that can handle further discussion...

I agree with the posters saying that it's not a quantity of glasses that triggers a need for a display case. It's how you want to manage the collection, regardless of its size.

Personally, before I got a case I kept my Oaks in their MF bags. I got tired of hunting through all the bags looking for the pair(s) I wanted. I thought a case would make selection easier. That, and I wanted to look at them more.

Ironically, it's had almost the opposite effect - yes, I look at them more and yes, it's easier to pick a pair with them all out in front of me. But where I used to carry multiple pairs as a habit and swap them every day, most days now I only carry one pair and I don't swap them as often.

Why? Well, I keep the case locked. Two locks for the display area. If I'm in a rush to head out the door, it's easier to grab the pair I already have out than drag out my keys and unlock / lock the case. And when I carry multiple pairs, that just leaves additional gaps in my case, pairs I can't see on display...

But I think having a case is better than not having one.

Hmmm... dead thread revival, but of a topic that can handle further discussion...

I agree with the posters saying that it's not a quantity of glasses that triggers a need for a display case. It's how you want to manage the collection, regardless of its size.

Personally, before I got a case I kept my Oaks in their MF bags. I got tired of hunting through all the bags looking for the pair(s) I wanted. I thought a case would make selection easier. That, and I wanted to look at them more.

Ironically, it's had almost the opposite effect - yes, I look at them more and yes, it's easier to pick a pair with them all out in front of me. But where I used to carry multiple pairs as a habit and swap them every day, most days now I only carry one pair and I don't swap them as often.

Why? Well, I keep the case locked. Two locks for the display area. If I'm in a rush to head out the door, it's easier to grab the pair I already have out than drag out my keys and unlock / lock the case. And when I carry multiple pairs, that just leaves additional gaps in my case, pairs I can't see on display...

But I think having a case is better than not having one.
Since everyone in the house is way shorter than you put the keys on top of the case on a spot where you know you can grab it quick. ;)

Back