• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Much Do You Support Oakley?

RetinaBurn

Oakley Expert
California
I know all of us love a bargain, but how much of your collection was purchased from Oakley or an Oakley Authorized Dealer? I was wondering this as it seems everyone here is looking for a deal (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but at some point we all should be supporting the company we love in some way, shape or form. I realize if you’re a vintage or special edition collector, it would be hard to get most of those from Oakley as most are sold out or discontinued. I’m just posing the question in general and was wondering how much of us do buy at retail. I know I myself have bought and still buy at retail, I like knowing it’s new and not having to worry about someone else’s version of “new”. I went though my glasses and I would say 63% of them were bought from Oakley or authorized dealers. Also, 50% of my watches, 95% of my apparel and 100% of my accessories were purchased from Oakley. Your “mileage” may vary, but just something to think about.

Last edited:
Almost everything I've gotten has been from Oakley, a few from here and a couple from eBay. I really only tend to use eBay for vintage pieces though.

I've purchased all but 4 pair through Oakley.(the 4 I've gotten on the forum)
I personally buy all of my clothes there as well.

i get a lot of BNIB stuff off Ebay and for while 6pm and Dept of Goods...I couldnt afford all the Flaks I have for example at 180 a piece ....probably 40/60 in favor of Non O store

It seems self-defeating but I try not to purchase from them. All it does is reinforce the lame newer designs, their exorbitant prices, and the fact that Lux is whoring a great brand out. I understand that if no one buys new, they'll stop making them etc but there are plenty of people willing to spend the dough to buy what they're selling now at new prices. I don't like a lot of the newer stuff anyways. If the new x-metals ever come to market, I might snatch a few up but then again, maybe not, depending on what Oakley did with them.

My newer model frames with the exception of my Pit Bull's, Split Jacket's & Matte Black MD's have been bought from either Oakley or through autorized online dealers, as they always seam to have them at a discount compared to the Oakley website. My older frames such as my plates were from here & eBay & my older MD frames have to be sourced from outside of Oakley also. My Clothing again from authorised dealers, Oakley & my older Monster Dog Tee's from eBay.
At the end of the day i'll look to buy where ever there is what i'm looking for at the right price.

Im about half and half. If its limited and may be hard to obtain ill get it from oakley but i get a lot thru ebay and some other hookups. I understand supporting the company but, at the end of the day, i have to put my finances above theirs and i dont wanna pay retail for a $200 pair when i can wait just a few weeks and get it for $125 in the same condition.

One example would be $300 plus tax polarized radarlocks. With tax theyll be about 325. You can easily get them for 200-220 brand new without tax. Im not gonna overspend $100 just to help the company out. It doesnt make financial sense.

On New stuff I will almost always get through a legitimate dealer. I am very anal retentive about everything being perfect, no marks on the lenses, stems are even, no inclusions in the paint etc. I'll either inspect a bunch of pairs in the store or will exchange ones with defects, so going through an AD, be it in person or online, makes that process much easier.

Excellent thread. I would say me n Mrs H are running about 50/50.

It's the nature of all business tho. Someone has to buy new in order for there to be a used market.
You could easily liken this to the used cars trade.

We are all walking adverts for the brand too so may encourage a newbie to Oaks if they like what they see and ask the question...

Latest Posts

Back