1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. saulsaul

saulsaul Oakley Expert Premium Member

From a carbon Juliet.

I've searched but I can't find a clear and comprehensive guide to transforming non polished XMetals to Polished customs. Is that info out there?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. RoTors

RoTors Oakley Expert Premium Member

3. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

I start with 600 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit. Then I use a Dremel with felt pads and Blue Magic. It is best to disassemble the bridge but if you cant don't overheat the bridge with the Dremel, it could damage the rubber parts.

4. saulsaul

That's useful thanks. To do a clean job in the orbital is it necessary to dismantle the bridge?

5. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

to do a proper polishing job you need to disassemble the entire frame. There's more than one way to skin a cat but ultimately you're just hitting it with sand paper gradually with increased fine grit and then buffing it up. It's not that technical, just extremely time consuming if you want a proper mirror like finish. A "half-assed" job takes about 1 hour. A fine mirror finish can easily take 6 hours depending on how much attention you pay to the details

6. saulsaul

Thanks - advice from a pro :)

7. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

oh and if you think polishing an R1 or Juliet is hard, wait till you do a Penny.. definitely feels like getting paid pennies to do a " @Wicked " Penny ;)

Hitech Vojtech, supersharp and Wicked like this.
  8. Wicked

Wicked Oakley Expert Premium Member

Show it off :)

supersharp likes this.
  9. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

Yes, Do show it. :)

10. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

This was about 2 weeks ago. I go at it every once in awhile when i recover from all the hand jobs

cue Frank jokes ;)

How to create a custom polished XMetal - 20160210_010246.jpg How to create a custom polished XMetal - 20160210_011004.jpg How to create a custom polished XMetal - 20160210_011524_HDR.jpg How to create a custom polished XMetal - 20160210_011537_HDR.jpg

QLR1, #1 Stunna!, supersharp and 2 others like this.