• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How to create a custom polished XMetal

saulsaul

I am Jim Jannard...
Tokyo
From a carbon Juliet.

I've searched but I can't find a clear and comprehensive guide to transforming non polished XMetals to Polished customs. Is that info out there?

I start with 600 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit. Then I use a Dremel with felt pads and Blue Magic. It is best to disassemble the bridge but if you cant don't overheat the bridge with the Dremel, it could damage the rubber parts.
That's useful thanks. To do a clean job in the orbital is it necessary to dismantle the bridge?

to do a proper polishing job you need to disassemble the entire frame. There's more than one way to skin a cat but ultimately you're just hitting it with sand paper gradually with increased fine grit and then buffing it up. It's not that technical, just extremely time consuming if you want a proper mirror like finish. A "half-assed" job takes about 1 hour. A fine mirror finish can easily take 6 hours depending on how much attention you pay to the details

to do a proper polishing job you need to disassemble the entire frame. There's more than one way to skin a cat but ultimately you're just hitting it with sand paper gradually with increased fine grit and then buffing it up. It's not that technical, just extremely time consuming if you want a proper mirror like finish. A "half-assed" job takes about 1 hour. A fine mirror finish can easily take 6 hours depending on how much attention you pay to the details
Thanks - advice from a pro :)

This was about 2 weeks ago. I go at it every once in awhile when i recover from all the hand jobs

cue Frank jokes ;)

20160210_010246.jpg
20160210_011004.jpg
20160210_011524_HDR.jpg
20160210_011537_HDR.jpg

Back