• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Help On Painting Glasses Or Where To Go?

char1ieone

Oakley Beginner
Hey everybody, I am kiiiinda new here so I know that there is a thread somewhere around here or post, but as you all know there is just so much ground to cover on here. I have a pair of Oakley XX FMJ 5.56 with the Ice Blue Iridium lenses that I am in the process of restoring. They are my first ever pair of Oakleys that I acquired, and from what I could remember, you were only able to obtain 'em through the catalog as when they first came out were like limited editions for the time, so they kinda mean dear to me, so I am not much into looking into buying a new pair of the same through ebay and such. I'd rather utilize my money on something I already have if that makes any sense.

Well, I am looking into stripping down the paint that's on em right now as they are turning black in certain areas such as the earsock, nosepad, inside nosebridge, and pivots, and repainting them to, well not their original color but something that is very VERY close to it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can obtain such information and whether this can be done on my own, or if I would be better off sending them to someone around here as I have seen that there are someone folks here that have amazing talent in restoration and customization. I would like to continue to wear them on a regular basis, so a pint that is very durable, even to maybe sweat is what I am kinda looking for as a final output. I have obtained the original earsocks and nose pads, which is the first big step as they are hard to come by now-a-days.

Thank You so much everyone, as all of your opinions, suggestions, and knowledge has been very helpful.

xxfmj556icenn4.jpg

After you get the old finish stripped off, there is a great resource on this forum for painting glasses:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/diy-modding-discussion/3533-painting-frames-questions.html

If you don't have any knowledge or experience with automotive paint, or using an airbrush or spray gun it's going to take a while to learn, and even longer until you can refinish your Oaks. If you don't want to do it yourself, the famous Dr. Chop does amazing custom paintjobs too. Find him on the forum or drchopshop.com

Unless you already have painting supplies, it's going to be way cheaper to ship the glasses off to the Doc. Some of the auto paints aren't cheap either. As for the FMJ 5.56, you're probably going to have trouble matchig that finish exactly. You should be able to get a paint color that's close and then you'll have to play with the sheen of the clearcoat and metallic additives until it looks right (which could be a bit tricky). But regardless, the paintjob will hold up better than any FMJ finish ever could.

Yeah, that's what it seems to be looking towards. I don't mind sending them to somebody, especially one who has a lot of experience from what I have seen and heard. I remember when the Twenties first cam out back in 2000 I believe, you were only able to see the picture available from the catalog, and what they had there, pretty much is what is displayed on the photo above this thread, at first I thought they were going to be an off-white with a hint of silver to it. When I recieved them in the mail and they were more silver, I will honestly admit, I was a tad disappointed, but I still enjoyed those suckers! Maybe I can go with the white pearl or platinum peral that he has available and see if he can add a satin to it. That way I can have em the way that I originally thought they were gonna be. Or just try to do the silver with satin finish to 'em for a good restoration. What do you guys think?

Back