• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I've tried to avoid any alcohol in lens cleaning solution. While there is a debate over what is safe, I defer to some advise from a Nikon lens engineer that I met several years ago. He recommended Purosol lens cleaner. It's plant extract based and is used on sensitive lens coating used in satellite and telescope lenses. Not cheap, so I used it mainly for my camera lenses, but if you are concerned about alcohol damaging frame parts, this is completely safe.

Hey Guys, I have gotten salt water on my oakleys from the beach, unfortunately it wasnt washed off immediately and now it has spots and scratches which i seem to get off................any advice on how to get the spots/scratches off?

Hey Guys, I have gotten salt water on my oakleys from the beach, unfortunately it wasnt washed off immediately and now it has spots and scratches which i seem to get off................any advice on how to get the spots/scratches off?
Always rinse your glasses after sped in a day at the beach... Even If you didn't go in the water ...

I'd say rinse the glasses with clean water, then mist them with the O Cleaner and then wipe with a microclear cloth

Always rinse your glasses after sped in a day at the beach... Even If you didn't go in the water ...

I'd say rinse the glasses with clean water, then mist them with the O Cleaner and then wipe with a microclear cloth

Thanks but i think its already too late......the scratches wont come off...guess i will need to replace the lenses

This might have been said before,but is there a reason ruby lenses (specifically Rubys for Juliet's) are like impossible to clean? I have the cleaning kit from oakley and I can apply as much or as little spray and it just moves the "grease" around the lenses. Seriously takes like 5-10 mins to clean those suckers... And I have made sure other Juliet's clean faster so it's not just my brand of grease... Lol

[for X-metals and 'others'] If the residue from the beach sits too long that can also eat away at the washers and speed up the deterioration of the unobtanium. One thing I have done in addition to cleaning the arm washers is the clean the earsocks. I do this inside and out using the techniques and solutions covered in this thread (warm/hot soapy water, wipe/scrub, boil, repeat, dry). Another thing I like to do is run a pipe cleaner (or similar arts & crafts felt-lined thingy) through the earsocks to minimize the possibility of the unobtanium prematurely wearing from the inside out. Also don't forget to gently take a q0tip inside of the jet intakes and inside the orbital grooves.

Back to the ancient subject of lenspens... If anybody has tried them and had a hard time getting rid of greasy streaks, I personally like to lightly drag a razor blade across the surface of the lenspen before giving the lenses a last once-over. The lenspen doesn't have any mechanism for dealing with excess oils, but this has worked well for me. It probably decreases the life of the pen, but that doesn't bother me.

I won't clean with microfiber bags anymore, or even the lens cleaning solution. My lenses have stayed scratch free for so much longer since I switched to pen and air-blower. On the road, I even skip the air and haven't had a problem. Thanks, reginacarmelitas, for mentioning these things in the first place.

Last edited:
Back