• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
what does isopropyl alcohol do to the lenses? if it peels off the iridium layer that'd come in handy, but if it ruins the whole lens then that could be bad

what does isopropyl alcohol do to the lenses? if it peels off the iridium layer that'd come in handy, but if it ruins the whole lens then that could be bad
Not an expert on the precise action of the alcohol, but from reading on this forum the alcohol can break down the the bonds in the polycarbonate lense. This apparently does depend on the concentration, as long as it does not penetrate into the lense itself and evaporates off quickly, you could get away with it (but a little risky on expensive lenses). It will effectively render it useless over time. I suspect that the effect is the same as sun tan lotion, it will make it go white/opaque and unusable. That is something I have direct experience of.

Not really worth the risk IMHO.

Okay thanks. I'm trying to chemically take the iridium coating of my wires' lenses off. They are pretty gouged up so I figured I'd turn them into grey lenses without having to buy new ones (if ya follow me)

Okay thanks. I'm trying to chemically take the iridium coating of my wires' lenses off. They are pretty gouged up so I figured I'd turn them into grey lenses without having to buy new ones (if ya follow me)
I successfully removed the similar coating on my old Arnette Swingers with alcohol and Q-tips. They came out hazy and I still had to replace the lens. I have a feeling once the two parts are bonded you lose the fine surface of the original lens. You may be able to carefully buff it out, like with a wheel, but I imagine that could alter the effectiveness of the optics.

I was in the O Store today talking with the district manager about this.

I recently saw a video on how to properly clean camera lenses by first using isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens and then using q-tips and distilled water to further clean and polish the lens. Works like a charm on glass.

However, isopropyl alcohol is NOT recommended for cleaning Oakley lenses. Neither are q-tips.

Using the microfiber bag or a microfiber cloth is fine but, when you pick it up, you transfer the oils from your hands to the microfiber bag / cloth.

The manager recommended washing the microfiber bags in the pockets of your jeans when you do laundry to minimize lint (his suggestion, not mine).

He also recommended the hydrophobic pen as the application should reject the transfer of oils to the lenses. Finally, he recommended the Oakley Lens Cleaning Kit to keep it looking its best.

Hope this helps!

Back