• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Restore Old Unobtainium That Has Gone Sticky!

hey guys! heres a potential sticky thread.. pun intended!

i just picked up a subzero, and the earsocks were old and had gone sticky.. i have had this problem before, but didnt know what to do. now, thanks to some experimenting and hunches, i think ive cracked it!

this should be a saviour for collectors of vintage zeros, m frames etc.. basically 1990's unobtainium was prone to this.

now, it is well know in the Xmetal world that unobtainium earsocks, especially for the juliet, will absorb oils, and after awhile either gets spoilt and starts degrading, sweating oils, cracking, and tearing. a method of restoring it (before it got nasty and torn up) was to place it in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes. this appears to release the trapped oils and sweat in the unobtainium and restore its properties.

I wondered if it could, at least to an extent, help with my subzero's earsocks. no harm in trying, as i knew boiling water doesnt harm it (aka melt into a puddle). so first, i use my fingernail to scrape out the buildup of black gunk from the grooves in the earsocks. once that was out, i chuck them in a mug and pour some hot boiling water on it (and make a cuppa as well for the wait). i used a soup spoon to hold them down under the water (they float otherwise).

i was extremely surprised how well it worked. there was some slight remaining tackyness, which i got rid of with a repeat of the boiling water treatment. I would say its almost as good as new!

a note, do not replace the earsocks onto the frame until completely dry. Old subzero and zero frame patterns (ie burn brush) are hydroprinted on but not clearcoated, an exposure to sweat and oils will degrade it rapidly. hot water actually starts to soak the hydroprint off.

i recommend earsocks be removed before treatment. frames can be washed seperately with lukewarm/cold water and mild soap, and left to dry completely before reassembly. and as with common sense, only gently rub the frame, dont scratch at it.

try it out, let me know how it goes!

Interesting. My old Half Jacket rubbers are starting to release all the trapped sweat and oils. Need to do this. Thanks for the tip, Brian!

In order to cover ourselves legally . . . . . some Health & Safety Warnings:

CAUTION
Read instructions carefully before attempting this at home.

CAUTION
Boiling Water is a hazard. It is Hot.
Always therefore remove sunglasses from face before applying boiling water.

CAUTION
Never leave boiling water unattended in the presence of children or animals.
For that matter, never leave your Oakleys unattended in the presence of children or animals either.
I guarantee you they will fk them up.

CAUTION
Do not mix up your cup of tea/coffee with your cup of ten-year-old ear-socks and sweaty skin oil gunk.

CAUTION
Only use clean boiling water for this process. The process will not be effective using other boiling substances such as Cup-a-Soup, Pot Noodle or Ovaltine.

CAUTION
Be careful when handling boiling hot ear-socks. (I bet that sentence has never been written before).
In fact, be careful when handling anything boiling.
The clue is in the phrase 'Boiling', moron.

- - - -

There ya go.
Just thought we should be covered in case someone poured boiling ear-gunk lava over their heads and sued us.
It could happen ya know.
:wink:

CAUTION

CAUTION

CAUTION
For that matter, never leave your Oakleys unattended in the presence of children or animals either.

CAUTION
Do not mix up your cup of tea/coffee with your cup of ten-year-old ear-socks and sweaty skin oil gunk.

CAUTION
Only use clean boiling water for this process. The process will not be effective using other boiling substances such as Cup-a-Soup, Pot Noodle or Ovaltine.

CAUTION
Be careful when handling boiling hot ear-socks. (I bet that sentence has never been written before).

- - - -

There ya go.
Just thought we should be covered in case someone poured boiling ear-gunk lava over their heads and sued us.
It could happen ya know.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... !!!!

CAUTION

CAUTION

CAUTION

CAUTION

CAUTION

CAUTION

- - - -

There ya go.
It could happen ya know.

haha cheers Herbs. If i ever invent anything i'll have you do the warning labels. actually, you may need a pamphlet. haha!

Back