• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Restore Old Unobtainium That Has Gone Sticky!

Just want to ask before I destroy something.
1st gen straight jacket, they have the bubble spots and I have had some in the past that have separated or split. The material seems a little different from the standard solid unobtainium.

Just want to ask before I destroy something.
1st gen straight jacket, they have the bubble spots and I have had some in the past that have separated or split. The material seems a little different from the standard solid unobtainium.

if its bubbled its probably too far gone (you cant get rid of the bubbles), but its probably worth a shot to clean it out and extend its life. let me know how it goes. in any case boiling water wont do harm.

and next time, keep em clean man haha. (read the 'how to clean your glasses' sticky thread)

if its bubbled its probably too far gone (you cant get rid of the bubbles), but its probably worth a shot to clean it out and extend its life. let me know how it goes. in any case boiling water wont do harm.

and next time, keep em clean man haha. (read the 'how to clean your glasses' sticky thread)

Yeah I'll try it. They did this while being stored away for years. Thought I had them cleaned up enough. I do wash my glasses before storing them. With heavy use and being original it only has one spot and it's small. I do the Dawn or hand soap on clean up. Even my E wires have gotten tacky from time to time on my Gold ones. Never new about the boiling trick. I quit wearing regularly after the last frame replacement('99 or '00). When parts started to thin. I wore these everyday for three years straight no pun on that. I used to have the groves that you got from wearing them a lot. Took about a year to go away. I'd love to get a new set of lenses for them. Maybe later.

Back