Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses
  1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!

How to spot a fake Oakley Pit Boss?

Discussion in 'Oakley Sunglasses Discussion' started by Juliet Overlord, 10/5/11.

Juliet Overlord

Juliet Overlord Oakley Beginner

First post! I'll post a proper introduction about myself later but need to ask this first as it's a bit urgent.

I just bought a pair of Pit Boss's on ebay and waiting for it to arrive. When I bought them I was 100% sure it's authentic from the pictures. After I bought them I found a few other pairs on ebay which seem to be a bit fishy, so I did some googling and found something quite disturbing I wasn't aware of. Seems there are sites selling fake Pit Bosses that look VERY good. Usually I can spot a foakley a mile away but these are GOOD, right down to the "PIT BOSS" logo in the inside arm and the item number "03-302" and "61 O 19" in small white print next to it. I've tried out a pair of PB at an Oakley store a few months ago but otherwise I don't have points to reference what could be different.

http://www.removed.com/product_disp.php?productid=2235

The pair on this site doesn't have the "POLARIZED" etching on the lens, so I thought that's one way to tell, but I found another site selling reddish-brown PB's (obviously fake color, but looks like using the same mold as the one above) which DOES have the "POLARIZED" etching. The pair in the link above looks like it also has a plastic film over the lenses, but that can be easily removed if one were to try to pass them off as real.

Does anybody know of an obvious way to tell from the fakes? (Besides the lack of the Elite box and pouch of course)

Thanks!

Register to Not see this ad
    Oakleynerd

Oakleynerd Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

those are 100% fake!
    the Pit Boss don't have screws in the arms like in his picture n°5!
    SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

Those fakes are pretty good. The price at $45 should already be making you second guess them. The stickers on the lenses makes them fishy. The case and box in the background might be real, but that's not what comes with the Pit Boss. And Nerd, the Pit Boss does have screws in the arms. While i don't have my pair in front of me, you can see them on Oakley.com and click on the 3D view and rotate the picture to see them.

Oh and Nerd, if you already haven't, i reported this site as fake to Oakley.
    Oakleynerd

:eek:)
    i already did!!!
    Juliet Overlord

Oops I didn't explain properly. I didn't buy from that site. I know that site has all fakes. I bought mine from ebay that had pictures that I believe showed a genuine Pit Boss. I'm still reasonably sure what's coming in the mail should be an authentic PB, finding this site just reduced my certainty from 100% to 85%. :)

I found that site AFTER I paid for mine and so I was quite surprised as I just didn't think there were fakes that looked THAT good. And it just added a sliver of doubt about some of the auctions for PB's on ebay where the pictures are not 100% clear, or slightly out of focus is a common thing I see.
    SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

Well, the good thing for you is if they do turn out to be fakes, you can fight it through ebay/paypal.
    Juliet Overlord

The real PB pics I can find does show something there, either a rivet or some sort or a screw head I'm not too sure. Here's a pic from Oakley:

20ud9ol.jpg

If it's a rivet then there should not be any screwhead shape to it at all, so I guess that's one way to tell...
    Oakleynerd

i was wearing my polished black pit boss today and they don't have screwheads at all inside!!
    just on the outside at the orbital (torx)
    Juliet Overlord

Yes that's true, that's why if I suspect they're fake I need specific proof to go back to the seller on, by pointing out details that show without a doubt that they're fake. Hence the question.
    Juliet Overlord

Hey! Would you mind taking a couple of close macro pics of the insides of both arms of your PB? Other than the screwheads I'd like to see what else I can spot that are different. TIA!