1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. pirucas

pirucas Oakley Beginner

Yesterday I received from the postman my first pair of Frogskins. I bought it through a portuguese sales site that I think is the same gender of US Craigslist.
    The seller is the same who a few months ago I bought a pair of matte black Holbrooks and then everything went well.

The Frogskins are supposedly "used" and the lenses show it well. the frame is polished white is ok. however, since they were damaged I bought a pair VL Yellow Gold and so now it seems like I have SW special series...:cool:

I don't have the glasses here with me because I'm at work but my doubt came because I was reading in a topic that the stems should have a "spring" effect when you open or close, as is normal with other frames. I thought that as the frame is more classic style like Rayban, this effect in the stems does not exist and so I did not care when received the sunglasses.
    Furthermore, there is a lens that has a small gap in the frame which does not appear normal to me.

is there any simple way to confirm that these glasses are fake or not?

when I was in the buying process I have seen many sites of fakes made in China and in all it appears in the frame between the lenses the OAKLEY logo and also a little O on the lenses. in my case, these two signs aren't there and I think that has even written a serial number in black in the inside of the stem. the "Frogskins" and "Made in the USA" are there too, so I'm very confused.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. jk-27

jk-27 Moderator Premium Member

3. cueyouzach

cueyouzach Oakley Beginner

agree with jk. i never hear the "spring" effect on frogskins leg before.

4. pirucas

pirucas Oakley Beginner

maybe I didn't tell the proper way: I'm calling "spring" effect to the open-close movement of the stems.
    you see, when you have the stem almost closed, the plastic is shaped/molded in such a way that automaticly completes the movement - that's why I say "spring".

5. Juleye Exclusive Eyewear

Juleye Exclusive Eyewear http://www.juleye.nl

That is absolutely not the case with the frogs ;-)

6. Lopez+oak

Lopez+oak Oakley Beginner

I have several pairs of frogskins and there all the new version. That being said, they definitely do not have any spring effect to them.
    Some other ways to tell...
    1. They should say made in the U.S.A. (like you said) but it should also be raised.
    2. They should have the hinges be built in (part of the actually glasses) and there should be no bolts or metal.
    3. They should not have any writing on the lenses, unless there polarized.
    4. They also be raised on the temples where it says oakely.
    You should have gotten some sort of microfiber bag, and maybe the box or any warranty cards, they can help probe if they're real.
    If you cant post any pictures, you should take them to a oakley store (is you have any in town) or a sunglass hut, they should be very helpful in verifying id they are real.

Hope it helps!! Frogskins for life!!

7. jmagic

jmagic Oakley Beginner

thanks for the info

8. yostuhfoo

yostuhfoo Oakley Beginner

dang didnt even know they made fakes. very informative