1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Unity006

Unity006 Oakley Beginner

I often buy my sunglasses second hand from eBay as I am not rich enough to afford new sunglasses :cry:

Is there certain signs to look out for across all Oakley sunglasses which will give confirmation if they are genuine or not?

Like for example with Prada sunglasses i know that on inside of arm there should be a model number in format of "SPS 12A" or "SPR 12B" etc

also there should be frame sizes written in special format, and on newer models upto 10 years old there is always a serial number etched onto the lense.

So what kind of things can I look for when identifying the Oakleys for authenticity?

Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. I asked a friend at my office and he said about some test where you pour water on the lense and on real oakleys the water acts differently then when you poor it on fakes. Something about it running off the lense and not bunching into small droplets.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. 702baby

702baby Under The Electric Sky

Any Oakley listing with an "authenticity card" and/or "cleaning cloth" and an "O" sticker on the upper portion of the lenses are fakes, sure the other people here can chime in

3. Unity006

Unity006 Oakley Beginner

Interesting

So when you buy new Oakleys they never give you a cleaning cloth? and Oakley has no authenticity card?
    It seems that every manufacturer does it differently, I know that Prada for instance has both of those things.

4. 702baby

702baby Under The Electric Sky

The microfiber bag acts as the cleaning cloth as well, if you buy a Oakley lens cleaner it comes with a cleaning cloth. Legit pairs come with a warranty card with the info on different lens light transmissions, click on this link, the stickers on the lenses, that case, and that cleaning cloth are all sure fire indicators of a fake pair

http://www.ioffer.com/i/new-men-s-and-women-s-oakley-sunglasses-548849968

5. da_nige

da_nige Oakley Enthusiast

Another common thing to look out for is the Oakley across the nose bridge. Although many genuine pairs have this there are many that don't. A few fakes will have the name across the nosebridge when the genuine pair doesn't e.g. Monster Dogs have no name across the nosebridge but I've seen fakes with it there. Best thing to do is check o-review to see if the pair should or shouldn't have the name on the nose bridge.

6. mercbezerk

mercbezerk Unicorn Chaser Premium Member Lifetime Member

In addition to the info already offered to you by 702baby & da_nige

If you're ever in doubt you can always post a pic on the forum and fellow members will be able to assist with their wealth of O-knowledge and then there is the other option of searching the http://www.o-review.com/ database which has near every pair every released listed with the SKU, colour combos that they came out in and a pic to help you compare the pair that you are thinking of purchasing.

7. GRFMotorsports

GRFMotorsports is an Oakley whore Premium Member

That is incorrect, there are some that in fact do have the bridge print. There are other models like the New Straight Jacket that depending on the color and when they were made may or may not have the print. Usually a fake will have the incorrect size print on the nose. The R at the end isnt a for sure deal either as some older ones do have the registered mark. These is no one for sure way to tell 100% unfortunately. Some fakes are really obvious, others are really good copies and only a trained eye can tell the difference. Its takes a while to learn all the models and what to look for. I would suggest picking a couple models out you like and want to try, track them down locally, go try them on, take notes and pictures for reference later if you cant make a deal with the retailer.

8. da_nige

I stand corrected then. Which colourways have the name?

EDIT: I see from o-review that crystal black have the name. I've only got pairs without and the fakes I've seen have been polished black

9. GRFMotorsports

GRFMotorsports is an Oakley whore Premium Member

Many of the early release frames w/o the name cast in the arm have the print, but not all. I have a pair of matte blacks in front of me with it, but my Scelzis dont.

10. da_nige

You learn something new everyday! Thanks!