• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Howdy, Intro & Questions About Parts, Repairs ...

MysteriousRacerX

Oakley Beginner
Howdy Folks!

I finally decided to register after following this forum for a new months. I'm at the point where I really want to refurb my X-Metals, it's just sad seeing 3 pairs of outstanding eyewear sitting unused in the storage box.

I've been wearing Oakley X-Metals for 10+ years, and mostly it's been the same glasses since it was always easy to go through Oakley for repair/refurb. I always been a big fan of the company's customer service, and impressed with their work (my wife's watch was basically replaced with a brand new one, OOW, my glasses always returned with extra goodies). I've had more questions about my Oakley computer bag vs. anything I've ever carried :D

Anyway, my current glasses are:

XX originally in X Metal/Black Iridium

Juliet originally in polished w/ fire

Romeo 2.0 originally (and currently) plasma w/ gold iridium (brown earsocks, etc., all around)

The XX are now have blue lenses, the Juliet are dark gray, I'm about 95% sure of the original lenses :)

The R2.0 have solid frames, so it looks like those are just a lens swap, the other pairs need more work, but all of them need new lenses and I see on the Oakley site they're listing some replacements as available:

Juliet (immediately available)
Oakley JULIET REPLACEMENT LENSES - Purchase Oakley gear from the online Oakley store

XX (also immediately available, but only one color)
Oakley XX Replacement Lenses available online at Oakley.com

I could've swore last week I saw lenses for the R2.0s, they had like a 14 day lead time, but now I can't seem to find anything at oakley.com[?]

So today I took apart my Juliet ... very small, but pretty solid taps from a very tiny tip punch and a rubber mallet, and I got one nose rivet out, the gasket was totally dissolved, guess I need to remove the other side - my question is about the gaskets, are they available for Juliet, R2.0 or XX? Does anyone have a template? I'm thinking I could make some, though maybe the other side isn't as totally gone and I can use that as a template[?]

Also, the rivets I'm assuming are some proprietary Oakley component, but if not, does anybody have a source? The one I removed looked reusable, the receiving channel was still super tight.

I guess the Juliets still have the option for a factory refurb, but I think I'll try this myself, if the gaskets can be reproduced and the rivets fit back really snug.

Anybody try any of the aftermarket lenses? I figured I'd go with Oakley direct where possible, but if that's not an option, I'd consider 3rd party if the optics are reasonably decent.

So my parts list would be:

Nose piece gaskets for XX and Juliet
Nose piece rivets for XX and Juliet
Lenses all around, but a decent option for the Romeo 2.0

I'll update as I make progress on sourcing parts, getting them apart, hopefully back together :D I saw X-Man has some incredible looking services, but I also saw he's taking a break for at least March, so I didn't want to bug him.

[edit: update]

OK, yeah, so I went ahead and pulled the other rivet (and the less loose side) and the gasket is intact, so I have a decent sense of what it looks like (and the material), I'll root around my tools and parts tomorrow, see if I see anything that looks like it might fit!

^^^^^what he said

And welcome to the forum! That was a long first post. :)
Pretty cool stuff ya got there

Hey, thanks.

Yeah, X-Man definitely knows his stuff, but in his main thread, he said was going to take a break though March, and I can appreciate someone wanting to chill from any additional work :) Plus, to be honest, I love tinkering with stuff, from code to cars. I'm generally not afraid to dive in and give just about anything a shot (and yeah, I've left a wake of destruction behind me ... my most recent attempt left me with a a bag of iPhone parts :D )

I'm surprised there's not more of a market for nose piece parts, but I guess that's not really "user serviceable" like the lenses and other rubber components.

A few pics, here's the Juliet broken down:

8530769729_47e40994a2_b.jpg

...and I'm thinking I can use this hose material to reproduce the nose piece gasket, it's reasonably easy to cut and is very dense, so I'm thinking it'll reproduce the feel pretty closely:

8530770307_9d582bb04b_b.jpg

Nice!!1 could you post pics on how you got the rivets out?

Just used a small, blunt tip punch, rubber mallet, needle nose pliers to pull it out once it had come out enough, some clamps to hold it.

Thats cool! I've never seen the inside of one!

Pretty cool how it all fits together.

Welcome to the forum!

The XX lenses you have a link to are for the O-Matter XX.... Not the X Metal XX.

Oh wow, thanks a bunch. Now that I'm looking at it carefully, it's not even the right shape, I searched, found the XX link and assumed [wrongly] it was for X-Metals. I guess I'll be going aftermarket...

A couple of points I want to make (especially in regards to how I disassembled them):

1) I was OK if something broke, couldn't be reassembled, etc., and knew there was some experts on this forum that could probably fix my mess.

2) While I'm not a machinist, I do a bit of small electronics repair (so have some experience with tiny, delicate parts, just fixed an iPhone), and a good bit of car work (tuning, suspension setup, etc.)

Hahaha, just didn't want to see a string of posts titled "Attempted to disassemble glasses ... now they're bent, broken and smashed"

Back