1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. 13ThirtySeven

13ThirtySeven Oakley Beginner

I was thinking to myself, what would a torch anodized or anodized x metal look like. I have seen the one purple custom pair. But I was thinking of doing heat anodizing on a pair of x squared with ruby iridium x metal color. Hopefully with proper technique I could come out with a blueish purple hues to the metal....

Any thoughts or previous discussions about this are unknown to me besides electronic anodizing..

I did do a search about anodizing with and did not read or notice any threads about anodizing with a heat source.... or maybe crazy as F%^@ idea heat and quenching....

Any thoughts even against the idea are welcome I was just pondering the idea...

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Gecko

Gecko Oakley Collector Premium Member

Good luck

Last edited: 10/16/13
  3. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

you can try, but I believe the purity has to be pretty high for the heat (aka rainbow, or in paintball world AURORA) effect to work right on titanium. Same as anodize I believe. If the purity isn't right, it corrodes and looks nasty from what I have read in the past. I personally haven't tried that. There are some custom purples as I have personally seen and handled them, as well as the only true factory purple I personally have seen.

4. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

The rainbow effect is done with varying the voltage during anodizing. The purity comes in to play since anodizing is essentially a controlled oxidation mixed with passivation, and likely won't work on an alloy with low titanium amounts (relatively lower than 100%).

qtrain23 likes this.
  5. Rezechs

Rezechs Oakley Enthusiast

Try it, if it goes south you can always pay Xman 60 bucks for a refinish.

6. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

or cerakote it too. lot's of options...xman does killer finishes fo sho