• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Am Thinking About Doing Something Really, Really, Stupid.

13ThirtySeven

Oakley Beginner
I was thinking to myself, what would a torch anodized or anodized x metal look like. I have seen the one purple custom pair. But I was thinking of doing heat anodizing on a pair of x squared with ruby iridium x metal color. Hopefully with proper technique I could come out with a blueish purple hues to the metal....

Any thoughts or previous discussions about this are unknown to me besides electronic anodizing..

I did do a search about anodizing with and did not read or notice any threads about anodizing with a heat source.... or maybe crazy as F%^@ idea heat and quenching....

Any thoughts even against the idea are welcome I was just pondering the idea...

you can try, but I believe the purity has to be pretty high for the heat (aka rainbow, or in paintball world AURORA) effect to work right on titanium. Same as anodize I believe. If the purity isn't right, it corrodes and looks nasty from what I have read in the past. I personally haven't tried that. There are some custom purples as I have personally seen and handled them, as well as the only true factory purple I personally have seen.

The rainbow effect is done with varying the voltage during anodizing. The purity comes in to play since anodizing is essentially a controlled oxidation mixed with passivation, and likely won't work on an alloy with low titanium amounts (relatively lower than 100%).

Latest Posts

Back