1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. JetIntakePort

JetIntakePort Oakley Beginner

So, I managed to find a BNIB Plasma/Ice Polarized Half-X a few months ago. Everyone knows the weak link in the frame are the spring hinges. I figured I wanted to try and find a broken frame for sale so that I could have some spare parts if I ever needed em.

Last week I came across a buy it now auction on the bay, it was a complete X-metal/Warm grey set but had a broken hinge, exactly what I was looking for. The price was good so I jumped on it. I had a thought at the time that I may try and fix the broken pair and be able to add another Half-x to my collection at a fraction of the cost of an unbroken pair. Worst case scenario, I wasn't able to fix em and would have spare parts.

When the pair arrived I was pleasantly surprised, the lenses were much better than I anticipated, the rubbers were good and the frame had only a few small marks.

So I decided to put in some effort and try to fix them:

• Called Oakley service in Canada hoping they may have some leftover hinges - no dice
    • Checked local prescription eye wear stores to see if they had any spring hinges that I could easily modify to fit - no dice
    • Scoured the intertubez to see if I could find any - I did find a few places that had spring hinges but they weren't exactly the same type of collar as the Half-x hinge.
    • Make my own - I like working on **** like this so I decided to make an attempt. Can't be that hard right :idk:

So here is a step by step of my work. Feel free to ask questions, I'm more than happy to answer.

1. Started with this:
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160301_143931.jpg

2. Took the broken part of the hinge out and got a fresh piece of steel for the job.
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_101448.jpg

3. Glued the broken parts back together so that I could lay them on the piece of steel. I then sprayed primer over the two so that I had a perfect copy left on the fresh piece of steel.
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_103615.jpg
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_114659.jpg

4. Then I was able to make some rough cuts to get a general shape:
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_121454.jpg

5. Here is where the amount of time invested started adding up lol. Started sanding the shape. Constantly having to be checking back to the original to make sure I wasn't removing too much material. Also on this step I started rounding the "tail".
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_124814.jpg

6. Test fitting in the arm... spent soooo much time getting the fitment just right. The key here is to sand a little then test... then sand a little and test again.
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_134845.jpg

7. Again, testing the fitment. This time is the little collar bit that slides up the tail and fits outside the head:
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_134805.jpg

8. Testing/Fitting the spring and washer at the tip.
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_134934.jpg

9. Taking shape... checking dimensions vs. the original part:
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_131252.jpg

10. More sanding and fine tuning... also drilled the hole here.
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_141141.jpg

11. More sanding/filing and fine tuning. At this point I did some finish sanding with some fine grit wheels. I also polished the part here. I was seeing the finish line!
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_145712.jpg

12. Final assembly of the new spring hinge.
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_162952.jpg

13. Installed in the glasses. Now I have a complete usable pair :)
    I did a thing! (broken Half-X) - 20160305_173025.jpg

The hinge works great. Better than I expected if I'm honest. Overall I'm really happy with the results. Took me about 5 to 6 hours total. Quite a bit of time invested but totally worth it to bring a pair back from the dead and hey, let's not kid ourselves, I'm sure the hinges will break again at some point so now I know I can fix em myself. Having put in work myself also makes this pair that much more cool to me. :cool-33:

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Well done!!!!! I commend you. It takes a lot of work to do this.

Brian Nickell likes this.
  3. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Congrats.

That's badass you were able to fix them. And you're right. Now you know you can do it again. Very cool!!!

Brian Nickell likes this.
  4. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 I've got a few Oakleys

I saw this pair for sale. Glad to see it was resurrected. Well done!

SEAN WAYNE likes this.
  5. JetIntakePort

JetIntakePort Oakley Beginner

Thanks guys... I know which pair I`m wearing tomorrow lol

6. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

Nice work.......we need more people like you in the world.... always appreciated the inventing craftsman.

SEAN WAYNE and Brian Nickell like this.
  7. mega8zero

mega8zero Oakley Enthusiast

Hats off to you bro! Maybe you can mass produce it to help other members with broken hinges. :)

SEAN WAYNE and Brian Nickell like this.
  8. gulfstream

gulfstream Oakley Collector

Well done fella !

9. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Awesome fix, congrats

10. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Very nice; well done!

SEAN WAYNE likes this.