• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Dissected My Gearboxes! Risky N Crazy =D

Interesting coincidence - when I got to the office this morning there was some dude I didn't recognize wearing a gearbox, not the first time I've seen one but the first time I've seen one being worn "in the wild". Turns out he's from our Canada office and I've had some electronic comm with him before but had never met him...

Anyway, he wasn't too thrilled with it, was a gift from his wife. He said that after the first year he had a problem with it, the crown would no longer lock down and he couldn't set the time. He sent it to Oakley Canada for repair and suspects they sent him a different, refurbished watch back, not his original one, but they didn't say either way.

But it's not his only watch and he's still wearing it so he must like it some bit...

It is his only Oakley watch but he has some Oak sunnies, too. He didn't really recall the frame names so I would call his enthusiasm lukewarm at best.

Sorry this post is not really on topic but kinda related and, like I said, an interesting coincidence... :D

oh wow that is interesting! glad you added this. Yeah the threads are very delicate so gotta be careful with them! I was still able to adjust the time and pull to the battery reserve position. Only thing was the screw down feature that was damaged.

I see more Oakley watches than X-Metals [In the wild]

I would be way more keen on a gearbox if the crown was at the traditional 3 oclock position something seems to bother me when I try the watch on about it being on the other side.
That's largely because the crown is so exaggerated on the Gearbox.

secondcase.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see some of the above have crowns at 9 o'clock, Büren/Dubois Depraz's modular solution to one of the first automatic chronographs. Much more subtle than the Gearbox's crown and not something you find digging in when you wear them.

That's largely because the crown is so exaggerated on the Gearbox.

secondcase.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see some of the above have crowns at 9 o'clock, Büren/Dubois Depraz's modular solution to one of the first automatic chronographs. Much more subtle than the Gearbox's crown and not something you find digging in when you wear them.

I actually like the crown on the 9 o clock side too because it wont dig into the back of my hand. I've had other watches where the crown was just a "normal" size yet over time I'd get a bruise or scar from the crown rubbing against the back of my hand all the time. So the gearbox, having a huge crown and out of the way, is perfect for me.

Crown on 'the wrong side'?
Just wear it on your other wrist! :lolsign:

I know, I know - sorry, but I had to say it... :slow:

Wearing a watch 'on the other wrist'...

Its kind of like being ambidextrous, but the ambidexterity applies to the cognitive function [of your brain]. Depending on if you go with the right-brain/left-brain model or per-lobe approach, YMMV. However you slice it the orientation of the watch is part of your connection with it.

There is something that can be very beneficial for not only maintaining the balance, symmetry, yin/yang, and all that - but also optimizing how you interact with said timepiece. It is more than just how you feel wearing it... For me there is a variance in how I interpret the data. This influences comprehension, decision making, and even memory. I am not saying I only recall things I learned when wearing a watch on the same wrist as I learned it, but it does provide some interesting perspective. That perspective adds definition and context at times. That definition and context can be the difference between retention and a discard of otherwise relevant and useful detail.

However, I suppose it could be damaging in some cases if you're all OCD about the orientation of your watch and you never tried to throw a ball with your non-throwing hand. In that case wearing your watch on either wrist is probably not for you! :eek:

For most of us I think its fine wearing your watch on either wrist, and a good thing to do once at least once in a while to mix it up - just don't wear one on both wrists at the same time and you'll live, probably... ;)

I'm left handed and when I was elementary-school age I wore it on my right wrist. Then at some point in childhood, I don't remember when, I switched to my left wrist. And it's the only way I'm comfortable to wear it, now.

Back