• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Dissected My Gearboxes! Risky N Crazy =D

Then at some point in childhood, I don't remember when, I switched to my left wrist.

...possibly due to the stage of, or change of stage, in cognitive development. This is actually quite common, especially in childhood through the early teen years [where most people 'develop' LOL].

Or maybe you just decided it felt 'better' that way?

Perhaps they are one in the same? :)

There are people who cannot - not 'will not', but cannot wear a watch (or rings, bracelets, etc...) on the "other/wrong" hand/wrist. They cannot function. Most of us probably know people like this. I am not sure where I read about it, but there have been studies that show a 'mis-wear' can render some folks less than functional in addition to being uncomfortable. As I recall the study found that in most cases those who were 'single-sided' had either been that way forever or had been since some point in their life.

I guess sometimes what we think is a conscious decision - or even a fashion statement - could be a pre-programmed piece of code running at a low level in our brain we actually have very little control over, if any.

...possibly due to the stage of, or change of stage, in cognitive development. This is actually quite common, especially in childhood through the early teen years [where most people 'develop' LOL].

Or maybe you just decided it felt 'better' that way?

Perhaps they are one in the same? :)

There are people who cannot - not 'will not', but cannot wear a watch (or rings, bracelets, etc...) on the "other/wrong" hand/wrist. They cannot function. Most of us probably know people like this. I am not sure where I read about it, but there have been studies that show a 'mis-wear' can render some folks less than functional in addition to being uncomfortable. As I recall the study found that in most cases those who were 'single-sided' had either been that way forever or had been since some point in their life.

I guess sometimes what we think is a conscious decision - or even a fashion statement - could be a pre-programmed piece of code running at a low level in our brain we actually have very little control over, if any.

Being a left hander in a right handed world, I've had to learn to do many things right handed over the years. You just get used to it over time. But I think my choice of wrists for watch wear was more mimicry. And now I'm used to it.

After last week when I was rambling about wearing a watch on the left and right and how that may interact with your brain... I have indeed confirmed... I can still wear a watch on the left or the right. I prefer the left slightly, but it makes my brain happy both ways! :grin:

Being a left hander in a right handed world, I've had to learn to do many things right handed over the years. You just get used to it over time. But I think my choice of wrists for watch wear was more mimicry. And now I'm used to it.

I am a Lefty, too. My right hand is absolutely useless ... well, ... except for maybe helping type a little faster, but as far as wearing a watch on it? Not a chance.

I was drawn to this Thread because it was a recent one pertaining to "Gearboxes", & I have been looking very, very, very closely at watches, & this is the model I must have to begin with - I have thought about buying one as recently as yesterday, ... but have also thought about the idea of dropping a "Holiday Hint". :D

It would be my first "O" watch, & is the one, out of many, that has drawn my attention the most - to start off with. My dilemma is not being able to make up my mind on what color to get.

I know I would not want Red, but the Yellow is appealing ... but the whit, to me, I think is the best one, & obviously, along with the Carbon & Black ... knowing they will g"go with" any color I am wearing. Red is tough as it is not a fave color of mine, & I do not often wear red clothes much anyway.

Thoughts?

PS: I am now somewhat concerned after the story @kronin323 conveyed about the gentleman from Canada & the issues with his, ... one he barely wore for the most part,

Ugh!! :headbang:

I was drawn to this Thread because it was a recent one pertaining to "Gearboxes", & I have been looking very, very, very closely at watches, & this is the model I must have to begin with - I have thought about buying one as recently as yesterday, ... but have also thought about the idea of dropping a "Holiday Hint". :D

It would be my first "O" watch, & is the one, out of many, that has drawn my attention the most - to start off with. My dilemma is not being able to make up my mind on what color to get.

I know I would not want Red, but the Yellow is appealing ... but the whit, to me, I think is the best one, & obviously, along with the Carbon & Black ... knowing they will g"go with" any color I am wearing. Red is tough as it is not a fave color of mine, & I do not often wear red clothes much anyway.

Thoughts?

PS: I am now somewhat concerned after the story @kronin323 conveyed about the gentleman from Canada & the issues with his, ... one he barely wore for the most part,

Ugh!! :headbang:

Easy choice...Get the automatic!

Easy choice...Get the automatic!

lol...

The automatic version also has ETA 2824-2 (like the TB2) so that would certainly be quality.

But, though I personally appreciate an automatic movement, for a person who hasn't had one before there are some things to consider (aside from the extra initial investment) -

Automatics are best used as a daily-wear watch. This is because your arm movements while wearing it are what winds it.

A "kinetic" watch is really a quartz watch with a battery that's charged by your arm movements. This means there is some stored charge to keep the watch running if you don't wear it daily. But an automatic watch is strictly mechanical; your arm movements wind a spring and, if not wound daily, it will run out and stop.

Why does that matter? For one thing, there's just the hassle of having to reset the time / date when you next pick it back up after it's run out.

But more importantly, the lubrication in the mechanism is kept fresh longer through operation. Idle periods allow that lubrication to dry out, so to speak. This means your watch will need service more often to address that.

An alternative solution to daily wear is to get a watch winder, which is basically a case to store the watch that spins around to keep it wound while not being worn.

Last edited:
Yeah ... fantastic points, & a little that I had investigated a bit into, but for my first O watch, I am going to spend $400-500, not $1,400-1,500, just to see if I like it.

I will not apologize if that makes me a cheap ass in someone's eyes, because that is the last thing I am, nor have "practiced" on here.

Yeah ... fantastic points, & a little that I had investigated a bit into, but for my first O watch, I am going to spend $400-500, not $1,400-1,500, just to see if I like it.

I will not apologize if that makes me a cheap ass in someone's eyes, because that is the last thing I am, nor have "practiced" on here.

No worries; IMO Oakley watches are way too overpriced to begin with... :D

lol...

The automatic version also has ETA 2824-2 (like the TB2) so that would certainly be quality.

But, though I personally appreciate an automatic movement, for a person who hasn't had one before there are some things to consider (aside from the extra initial investment) -

Automatics are best used as a daily-wear watch. This is because your arm movements while wearing it are what winds it.

A "kinetic" watch is really a quartz watch with a battery that's charged by your arm movements. This means there is some stored charge to keep the watch running if you don't wear it daily. But an automatic watch is strictly mechanical; your arm movements wind a spring and, if not wound daily, it will run out and stop.

Why does that matter? For one thing, there's just the hassle of having to reset the time / date when you next pick it back up after it's run out.

But more importantly, the lubrication in the mechanism is kept fresh longer through operation. Idle periods allow that lubrication to dry out, so to speak. This means your watch will need service more often to address that.

An alternative solution to daily wear is to get a watch winder, which is basically a case to store the watch that spins around to keep it wound while not being worn.
What happens if you have an Automatic watch still inside it's box that is inside another box that is inside yet another box? Let's just say you have an automatic watch inside a box that is about 18 inches high by 2 feet long by say another roughly 18 inches? This box is sealed and you don't really plan on opening it anytime soon.....do you get a BOX winder? :p

Back