• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Dissected My Gearboxes! Risky N Crazy =D

What happens if you have an Automatic watch still inside it's box that is inside another box that is inside yet another box? Let's just say you have an automatic watch inside a box that is about 18 inches high by 2 feet long by say another roughly 18 inches? This box is sealed and you don't really plan on opening it anytime soon.....do you get a BOX winder? :p

Hmmm, sounds like a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...

A box winder? Maybe qtrain or rustpot can design one for you!

Seriously, that's actually a very good question - it'd suck to damage a FMJ by trying to use it after a long time of storage. But does that mean you need to somehow keep it periodically wound? Or should you take it in for service before use after a long storage period, even though it's never been used? Would the fact that the FMJ has a higher-grade Valjoux 7750 movement make any difference one way or the other?

My guess would be to have it serviced before using after a long storage period, even if it's never been used before. @Carrera1963, any thoughts?

Though it doesn't answer that question specifically, here's a watch blog post on the subject:

"Watches need to operate regularly in order to prevent damage. But again, the type of movement and the climate you live in can effect this greatly. Most mechanical watch movements use a variety of oils and greases applied in tiny amounts for lubrication. Some of these can get hard and prevent a movement from operating normally (or at all) if the watch is left sitting for too long. The question is, “what is too long?” We wouldn’t say that you need to leave your automatic watch on a winder or wind your manually wound timepieces daily. However, at least each couple of weeks you should wind them up a bit to get the oils flowing.
We’ve suggested this to a few brands in the past, but as of now, we don’t know of winder makers that have a “long term storage” function that simply moves a watch a few times a week in order to keep it operating. This is because it is a balance. You want to keep the oils in the watch ready, but you don’t want to prematurely put wear-and-tear on a movement."

Modern lubricants are pretty good at staying fluid, I must have 30 odd automatics and never fuss too much about winders. So long as each gets some use every couple of months, they run ok and only need a service once every 5-7 years. You hear of plenty of people never servicing them at all and the watches running ok, but that could just be saving up expensive heartaches for later.

Modern lubricants are pretty good at staying fluid, I must have 30 odd automatics and never fuss too much about winders. So long as each gets some use every couple of months, they run ok and only need a service once every 5-7 years. You hear of plenty of people never servicing them at all and the watches running ok, but that could just be saving up expensive heartaches for later.

So what if you bought something with Valjoux 7750 and left it sealed in the box for 5 - 7 years before using it - would you service it first or just strap it on and hope it doesn't have any problems?

Back