• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Hate Luxottica Post

So I just watched the clip from 60 Minutes and I don't understand what the uproar is all about... When Luxottica took over Oakley in 2007, Did you think they weren't doing it to make money and increase their market share? I did get a sense of arrogance from the CEO or whatever he was of Luxottica but he has that smugness about him because he has successfully cornered the market and people are STILL willing to pay top dollar for the glasses they make/design/market or whatever their role is with each brand they own...

You have to give them credit, look what he did with RayBan... I do agree that the earlier Oakley designs were better before the buyout but I think it is better to have the current Oakley then no Oakley at all, don't you agree?

New Ray-Ban sucks too

And i think 5 years is enough to stop giving credit, it's not like they just did one bad model, they don't stop to do crap new models (and i'm not talking about the overprice thing) or useless special editions to make pay sheeps who are collecting. They also stop the rare good models, it looks like a suicide

Even design of apparel is starting to become ugly

And you are somewhat lucky in america, in France there are no vaults, discounts are very rare, it's difficult to find O apparel in real shops, the ocp program is ridiculous (same glasses since many years, with only one colour option: http://fr.oakley.com/custom/minute2.0 )

My bottom line is that I split my collection philosophy into 2 groups....X-metal or items before 2008 and after. I collect but on a very limited basis out side my AS and X metals.

I dont involve myself in too much in Oakleys that are coming out as much as I did before....There is a new exclusive almost every day, the market is saturated with signature, store exclusives, and so on. I would not even feel really special if I had my own signature series from Oakley...I feel like its a crap shoot now and they are already whoring their best lenses. I do love the Holbrooks but that's only because I wear those and they look good on my face, maybe a few others that speak to me. My rule of thumb for buying has changed for sure because of Lux and they knew that people who loved Oakley would stand by them as they sold it down the river and Yes, RayBan does suck, marketing is the only thing that has changed on those, take another look at that interview and maybe you will see what I saw.

Oh, I hate 60min for several reasons but I do side with them on this, it was a news worthy story for sure

Back