• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I miss 90s' Oakley styles, will they return?

JacketFan

Oakley Beginner
Hello I first got into Oakley in the late 90s right when they hit their sweet spot with their jacket line like the [new] Straight Jacket and Minute etc (though I would have loved a pair of Eye Jackets). I loved the super smooth look and futuristic design.

Now, they have some 'ok' stuff but it's mostly all SQUARE and have weird designs on the side, very busy. Do you think they'll eventually rerelease some of their classic designs?

Anyone have news on the [new] Straight Jacket III or Minute 3.0?

I think Dr.Chop summed it up the best when he posted this in the X-Metal discussion forum a while back:

[...]Fact of the matter is this: Accept it or move on, cuz you won't change what LUX is thinking. It is a trend brand now, no longer a purists brand. This is why styles for the most part, suck. They have burnt through the last of the JJ stuff apparently, and are left with kids designing crap that they like, not what collectors like. As with anything else, the glory days are behind us, and what's left is a fashionable brand that is targeted around the twenty-somethings and younger.[...]

You may or may not agree with his statement, but I know it's how lot of folks see things nowadays.

Just speculation on my part.

Where can I read more about the history, who is this Jim guy etc?

Jim was just some nobody that worked at Oakley for a few years in the mid 90's. He was really old but was kind of like a grandfather to the designers, so they kept him around. He died years later.

Click Here

Back