• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I need rust advice.

Jameszombie

Oakley Beginner
Tennessee
Any method you would use for applying a rust decay look to x metal, wire and aluminum. Please help me out. I see that a lot of you have pulled it off. I dont do o matter save for my madman so I never swooped on the cells or anything. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures? Also what kind of paint or treatment did you use. I attempted to oxidize once and had no real progress. I was able to yield interesting results on the coin before starting on the frames. I heat treated a splash of wood stain and it surprisingly held. I would rather have the rusted look though. Thanks for the reply.

You have to buy iron based paint with a rust activator. Every state sells different types. Try eBay or Amazon. Do not use a foam brush, which is what was used on the stands and you can see the results were different. Regardless of how consistent you think you are the rusting will take a mind of its own. Results always vary. Lots of trial and error, but advise have fun with it, take your time and worry about clear coating it once your satisfied.
IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

Outstanding. have you ever done a mustard patina to copper and brass? I got that down to a science. Who would have thought such great art could come from aging objects. I appreciate the advice and if you want my recipe for patina or torching steel let me know. Great work by the way. The stands still have a great rust look. Thats the thing about art. It hardly turns out the way we envision it, but there are qualities in every creation that you and other people will appreciate. The fun of it sometimes, letting your art have a life all its own. Kudos. Thanks again.

You have to buy iron based paint with a rust activator. Every state sells different types. Try eBay or Amazon. Do not use a foam brush, which is what was used on the stands and you can see the results were different. Regardless of how consistent you think you are the rusting will take a mind of its own. Results always vary. Lots of trial and error, but advise have fun with it, take your time and worry about clear coating it once your satisfied.
View attachment 289415
View attachment 289416
brother that's a good job. it's not easy. I've done a few but I'm always over critical of myself

Any method you would use for applying a rust decay look to x metal, wire and aluminum. Please help me out. I see that a lot of you have pulled it off. I dont do o matter save for my madman so I never swooped on the cells or anything. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
it's certainly in the products u use as well. definitely in brushwork airbrushing and time. I use typical browns oranges and some greens. just auto paints. I then dab with steal wool in different areas. I find clears sometimes kill the look. I actually picked up some rust paint and activator at Michaels.. that unfortunately didn't last near as long on glasses.

Thanks! I have high expectations for myself, and prior to starting you always envision a certain shade but it never turns out that way.
100% agree. I've done about 15 odd pairs in rust for customers and it seems no single one is the same. I miss the very first pair I did. I can't seem to dublicate it.

I'd love to try some stand like yours. once again excellent work

Outstanding. have you ever done a mustard patina to copper and brass? I got that down to a science. Who would have thought such great art could come from aging objects. I appreciate the advice and if you want my recipe for patina or torching steel let me know. Great work by the way. The stands still have a great rust look. Thats the thing about art. It hardly turns out the way we envision it, but there are qualities in every creation that you and other people will appreciate. The fun of it sometimes, letting your art have a life all its own. Kudos. Thanks again.

Ive done copper with green patina. Never thought about mustard patina. Would love to see some of that.
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

Copper didn't turn out like I expected. I got a lot of bubbles with the patina activator.

Back