• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I purchased my Romeos 13 years ago...

As a 16 year old kid purchasing these, that never factored into my thinking.

As a 16 year old a LOT of things never factored into my thinking! ;)

Good job keeping those Romeo's aka 'R1's' around - if you had the box and coin (LOL) they came with they would likely be worth more than double your initial investment. Just the sunnies alone and you could get your money back and then some any day with no lenses at all.

The R1 is a really cool frame to hunt down as a collector because with Linegear providing pretty much all need parts for refurbishment- from screws to rubber to gaskets to lenses (and readily available sources for custom cut OEM lenses) you can buy pretty much any frame and bring it back to life yourself for....$140 or so. I've had many an enjoyable evening breaking down a pretty beat up frame, cleaning it, drying everything off and then putting it back together with new parts....good as new. Its most definitely an iconic design and that while its not my most comfortable to wear for my face, I always have had one or two in the collection just because its so frigging cool

Hi ProfessorOZ

Thanks for starting this thread up. It has probably been the same amount to time since I blew two entire weekly pays on my 1st pair of Romeo’s. At a guess it would have been 2001 as I always thought they were cool since Tom Cruise wore them in Mission Impossible. My pair was 2nd hand on eBay so I don’t have the Box or Coin but I still do have them to this day. A few years back I purchased everything Blue from Linegear but I think this pair is destined for Xman Customs with the intent to go back to original looking.

***Sorry, first time trying to upload/post images here... hope it works***

3278-1425193055-7e498cbc4f81389e0599079957bf02a1.jpg

3279-1425193209-cb070f3e7a276899782f69429b83608a.jpg

A much better story is my 2nd pair of Romeos’ I think I saw any Romeo’s for sale in my homeland (Australia) for ages but on a trip to Hong Kong, I saw a pair sitting in an optometrists shop, with the coin and match Box – 100% complete. These as you can probably imagine are the pinnacle of my Oakley Collection and stand out from the other 5 (6 if you count my Badman) X-Metals.
Just did the numbers, these babies at $2100HKD = $270 USD in today’s money but I think it might have been a bit more back in the day.

3283-1425193844-47c095d234af6fca10e53c5f30107bed.jpg

3284-1425193972-a8cb567cb165c1cc8957fc1524af197b.jpg

3286-1425194140-66679941ffc57e08d14495b5e39cd004.jpg

3286-1425194140-66679941ffc57e08d14495b5e39cd004.jpg

Thanks for the memories. Also, just a few snaps. Badman I think compliments my Juliet’s in Black a lot better, while Manman (which is Banned in Australia) is clearly Mars)

Jesse

Hi Kronin323,

Yes, Apparently at the very last minute (and I'm repeating what the O Store Sales guys told me), they did not pass Australian Standards. Reason being they apparently do not cover enough of the face.

The Dumb part is that while this happened at the very last minute, the stock is in the country and while the plan is that it is being exported to the US, our ‘O Stores’ have put them on display with the disclaimer “Not Available for sale in Australia”. Looks like they handled this just as well as they do the Australian Website – which is poorly*.

Seriously, I hope this gets changed. No idea if any of the Raw got sent here but if they did, I’m betting a few pairs we were meant to have wind up somewhere else.

Jesse

*- It never gets update. No mention of anything released or what is in store until a good month after it release.

Hi Kronin323,

Yes, Apparently at the very last minute (and I'm repeating what the O Store Sales guys told me), they did not pass Australian Standards. Reason being they apparently do not cover enough of the face.

The Dumb part is that while this happened at the very last minute, the stock is in the country and while the plan is that it is being exported to the US, our ‘O Stores’ have put them on display with the disclaimer “Not Available for sale in Australia”. Looks like they handled this just as well as they do the Australian Website – which is poorly*.

Seriously, I hope this gets changed. No idea if any of the Raw got sent here but if they did, I’m betting a few pairs we were meant to have wind up somewhere else.

Jesse

*- It never gets update. No mention of anything released or what is in store until a good month after it release.

The thing you have to remember jlv632, is that Australia is one of a few countries around the world where their O-zone does have a hole in it: thus, letting someone use sunglassess which have the potential of letting in unfilteeed UV, could be the tip of an unearthly iceberg of a law suit!

Back