• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I realise I'm going against the grain here...

I wish they would do more Artist, Limited, Signature series of the designs that I like. A la Batwolf, Offshoot, Eye Patch, Style Switch.

Folk with vision and creativity to come up with a brand new product that is different from anything seen before are few and far between.

Truly great designers from the last 100 years can be counted on one hand. Jim was one of them. Until a genius comes along, which may be never,recycled designs are all we're gonna get...

I personally do not own any of the new pairs or designs, except 1 pair of Radars.

Have a think, and try and picture a totally new pair of shades that look different from anything seen before?? Easy?

Folk with vision and creativity to come up with a brand new product that is different from anything seen before are few and far between.

Truly great designers from the last 100 years can be counted on one hand. Jim was one of them. Until a genius comes along, which may be never,recycled designs are all we're gonna get...

I personally do not own any of the new pairs or designs, except 1 pair of Radars.

Have a think, and try and picture a totally new pair of shades that look different from anything seen before?? Easy?

And don't forget, you also have to be able to sell a lot of them.

I'm going to go back to the JFLs here. Ok, so the design is your basic common or garden shade variety, but it was the materials that made it appeal. Would we not like more of this, I know I would. I paid £159 for mine, more or less the same as the Heritage eyeshade. Go figure.

When Factory Pilot Eyeshades were first released they were about £50-£60.. That was a lot of dosh in the early 80's

£160 now, isn't a lot of money., 1 night in a hotel??

I do agree with your original post regarding designs.

...but I think Oakley are just taking the piss now.

There's no innovation, there's no 'wow' anymore, there's just recycled ideas, and so many 'limited editions' that just pander to the collectors.

They've (Lux) obviously realised, probably ages ago, that there's people out there that collect, people that want every version of every release just to willy wang on the Internet about how many pairs they've got. So, all they need to do is recycle the designs, 'limit' them with a signature or a series of gash colours and they'll sell like hot cakes.

Case in question, the Heritage eyeshades. £160 in the UK store. Seriously? I mean WTF? There's approximately £2 of plastic there. No more. They are an utter joke yet there'll be collectors buying all three flavours and wetting their pants over them. And the Frogskins, pretty much the same as all the others yet tag them with 'Heritage' and there an extra £40-50 in it.

I look at all the pairs I've bought over the years, since my first ever Mumbos, and they all mean something to me. Every pair is different, I don't do collecting, they have purpose, some are special gifts and some are just because they seemed amazing at the time - my Mag Switch for example were my wedding present from my wife.

I was into the brand, the meaning behind the brand, the innovation and the genius. Yes, they've always been over priced but you didn't mind so much years ago when it seemed worth it. Now, it just seems cheap but not cheap to buy.

Rant over. I realize I'm probably in the minority here and many people will be gushing over those Eyeshades etc. but really, Oakley are just ripping the piss out of you now. :(
Lux knows they have to keep to the brand image of innovation. I think they did so this year with frames like the Jupiter Factory Lite and Jupiter Squared Carbon. carbon fiber is a really cool material. Everyone has titanium. I have a different view maybe because i'm a retailer and I am familiar with Lux. But on the optical side they also took Metal Plate which was a great seller and besides adding a larger size which was a good move they added Carbon Plate. They also have amazing prescription lenses. Im a retailer for both sun and rx and I can tell you there lenses are very good. The development on the prescription side is very well thought out. I also work with Maui Jim whose lenses are great as well, but Oakley takes it to another level with their color options. I think 2014 will bring some sweet stuff.

I was lucky enough to work at O in the 90's O-Africa and then again from '06 - '09 O-UK.

In the 90's - The first thing I noticed was how much everyone wanted to be there, how much they loved the brand and how it was truly a way of life for them/us. Sadly things started changing towards '00, where lower-level staff were contracted in through employment agencies. Basically, these agents were just filling spaces with resources they had and not resources that specifically wanted to work for the brand. This was about the time I left.

In '06 - I never saw the brand love I had seen back in the 90's. For the majority of the people I met @ O, it was just a job. Most didn't even own any O-Product or have any interest at all. I left O a year after the LUX takeover, as a direct result of LUX but that's another story.

To get to my point, I don't think everything regarding lack of inspiring product can be blamed on LUX. I think its been along time coming. Even if Jim had stayed, I think it would have gone the same way. As a company grows it becomes less of a family and more of just a place of work.

Latest Posts

Back