• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Too Have A Plan

you are correct in that the problem is that the holes get worn and no matter what you seem to do, they stay loose. only option is to change the nosebridge. The rivets don't press into the orbitals, just the bridge, so thats the hole that would need to be redrilled.

From the shot you posted the nose bridge and the orbital. I would think like you stated that the nose bridge wouldn't get wear because the rivots solid mount through. But the mount point on the orbital would oblong in the hole were the rivot would go through(pic 3). If you were to fill in the lost material here wouldn't that tighten up the flex of the nose bridge. By drawing in the mount point. Or am I off on what I'm thinking moves. What do you mean about drilling the nose bridge?

d6f6939a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• d6f6939a.jpg
    d6f6939a.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 248
  • d6f6939a.jpg
    d6f6939a.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 265
keptman said:
From the shot you posted the nose bridge and the orbital. I would think like you stated that the nose bridge wouldn't get wear because the rivots solid mount through. But the mount point on the orbital would oblong in the hole were the rivot would go through(pic 3). If you were to fill in the lost material here wouldn't that tighten up the flex of the nose bridge. By drawing in the mount point. Or am I off on what I'm thinking moves. What do you mean about drilling the nose bridge?
[/QUOTE]

The rivet doesn't touch the orbital.

They orbitals pivot on the rivet that is pressed into the nose bridge. The hole in the orbital is already quite a bit bigger than the rivet. That's what the rubber does, it holds the orbital from moving.

If you filled the hole in the orbital, it wouldn't flex at all, which you don't want. The problem lies on the holes on the nose bridge wearing to wear the rivet will spin with the orbital, which means that it can't be tightened.

That's my understanding.

o.k heres what ive learned.i just recieved jces12s pair of pennys today.i drilled out the rivits and looked at how these things flex.the rubber has an offset hole in the rubber to aid in tension of the frames.there is no O-ring in the center of the orbitals,so the hole in them is larger than the pins diameter.im not gonna give detais yet on how i fix these but i am taking pictures of each step of the rebuild.ill let jces 12 be the judge on how they turned out.weather or not i do more depends on how much labor is involved this project.

Cool, keep us updated, I'm curious how this turns out.

ordered a 3' piece of titanium welding rod today.090" in dimeter,im going to have to machine it down to .081.(that is the pins original diameter).gonna work with different grades of rubber and see how that works out.blasted them today and they look new,kind of a darker x metal color.im using an aluminum oxide to blast and im pretty sure thats how oakley is getting this color.

ordered a 3' piece of titanium welding rod today.090" in dimeter,im going to have to machine it down to .081.(that is the pins original diameter).gonna work with different grades of rubber and see how that works out.blasted them today and they look new,kind of a darker x metal color.im using an aluminum oxide to blast and im pretty sure thats how oakley is getting this color.

youre going to use titanium for the pins? wont using a harder metal than the frame mean that the frame itself will wear out over time? i dunno, if it was me i'd use SS or something softer so that the wear will be on the pins, whcih are cheaper to replace? tell me if im off track here

and you so should leave the penny in the xmetal color lol. way nicer

So when I get these back in a custom color, I can sell them on eBay for $2000. Lol. (that was a joke)

Thanks mark.

Latest Posts

Back