• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Icon Painting Query

350nick

Oakley Expert
Just picked up a pair of "new" straight jackets in polished aluminium with fire lenses.

The icons have seen better days and the black has mostly worn off so I would like to paint them black.

I have read the guides which suggested dipping in boiling water then using a pin to remove icons.

What I was wondering is if the polished aluminium frame is an FMJ coating as I don't want to risk

ruining the finish which is in decent condition.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. If it's too risky I might just leave them as is!

Just picked up a pair of "new" straight jackets in polished aluminium with fire lenses.
The icons have seen better days and the black has mostly worn off so I would like to paint them black.
I have read the guides which suggested dipping in boiling water then using a pin to remove icons.
What I was wondering is if the polished aluminium frame is an FMJ coating as I don't want to risk
ruining the finish which is in decent condition.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this. If it's too risky I might just leave them as is!
Just FYI OEM color is gunmetal (grayish)

Definitely FMJ coating, but some of them have a different and smoother finish.
FMJ Pics -->> click

I've made a bit of a mess, pulled one of the icons away but it took some of the FMJ coating with it!

It's not a big area but I don't suppose there's any way I can touch it in with silver paint successfully. Best option might be to remove all of the coating and leave them black, or paint them.

Is FMJ removal easy?

Annoyed with myself because the frames were quite good!

FMJ strips off easily, unfortunately. You can drop them in Super Clean for a few hours and the finish will loosen up and just slide off the frame.

You could try to touch up the frame, but I don't know any silver paint finish that will exactly match FMJ. If it's a small area, give it a try and it probably won't be that noticeable.

FMJ strips off easily, unfortunately. You can drop them in Super Clean for a few hours and the finish will loosen up and just slide off the frame.

You could try to touch up the frame, but I don't know any silver paint finish that will exactly match FMJ. If it's a small area, give it a try and it probably won't be that noticeable.

It is just a small area above the icon but the coating is slightly raised. I've bought some aluminium coloured plastic spray paint so will try touching it up. Failing that then I think I'll have to just remove the coating. Hopefully not!

I want to custom paint the icons on my incoming first ever pair of Oakleys........

Searched and this was the most recent thread i could find......my question is: Once the icons are removed, cleaned and ready to paint: Do they need to be Airbrushed, or can you get a decent finish from a rattle-can on something so small ?

Is everyone clear-coating / lacquering afterwards too ?

Latest Posts

Back