• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Identifying Authentic Radars

Thanks BriP,

One last question. Is there supposed to be a very small "R" after the "Oakley" etched on the lens? Both of these have that.

yes. authenthic lenses have them etched- witht he R. cheap fakes have them but usually screened on-its like paint or a sticker you can scrape off. Some slightly more expensive fakes have etched lenses as well but you can tell by the quality of the lens. if you want you can post pics of your other radar and ill have a look.

If this is fake it's a damn good one.

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

There is a little bit of rainbow to the lens, which is not a good sign, right?

Attachments

• DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0392.jpg
    DSC_0392.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_0392.jpg
    DSC_0392.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0394.jpg
    DSC_0394.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0394.jpg
    DSC_0394.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 167
yeah those lenses are definitely suspect. look closely at the etching on the lens and compare with your livestrongs... definitely different arent they? the texture etc.

the fakes also have very sharply cut edges on the lenses - youll notice the real ones are better rounded along the bottom. those icons are wrong for the model - shouldnt be that bright chrome color, its more of a dark silver.

the rubber earsocks fit wierdly to me.. and the edges look too sharp. plus the screws in the earstems are a dead giveaway. youve got some $20 fakes there mate =(

do the 2 look similar from the back of the nosebridge? are lenses and rubbers all removable on them? some fakes are glued in. im just intrigued how close these fakes came to the real deal.

I've seen some fairly good fakes, but they always, ALWAYS have screws in the hinges...
also! If you try to remove the lens... alot of them don't have the hinge mechanism in the nosebridge to do so!

My brand new, right-out-of-Oakley-shipping-box Radar lenses DO NOT have the "R" tag on the Oakley logo. I have two older lenses (came with the frame when I custom built it in 2007), and one has the "R" and one does not. All four of these lenses came direct from Foothill Ranch.

Weird.

Thank you John and the Raven for you inputs.

TR, I went to sunglasses hut and looked at the lenses on the Radar. They did not have the little "R" on any of them.

However, I think the Livestrongs here are authentic. I did the water test on both lenses. The water went right off livestrongs w/o any remnants left. On the other lenses there was a trail of little droplets left.

Water test is effective on Radars.

First, clean your lenses! Argh, that would annoy the crap out of me to have smudgy lenses, fake or not.

Second, take a bunch of pics, including the inside of the nose bridge, the screws, every little detail you can. The more we all know and can compare the better equipped we are to spot and avoid/report fakes.

Back