• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm Done with the Madman (The Honeymoon is OVER!)

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
After 3 weeks and 3 days... I gave it a chance, cut some customs, tried my best to accept it for what it is. Now I am about to do something I sincerely hoped I would not have to - I am going to return it!!!

I know we all have opinions and mine keeps shrinking. Its kind of like the old "if you don't have anything nice to say" bit. My opinion of these has become somewhat terse at this point.

The short version: The Madman is not worthy. It is a solid 'Fail' in form, fit, and function.

The slightly longer version: An inadequate pair of sunglasses with a frail and flimsy frame. They have an inconsistent fit and perform no better than costume jewelry. There is nothing special about these to me at all. No connection, no desire. I wear my Mars' often and I cannot bring myself to wear these at all anymore.

I'll save my custom cuts for a frame down the road. I am sure these will start showing up cheap here and there sooner than later. I might score the Ferrari version on a good discount just to have one in the collection. I dunno - right now I just want to get rid of this one as quickly as possible.

No smileys, no sad faces, no emotion with this post. Just sharing my blah meh-at-best experience with these.

Did we really need yet another thread on the madman for this?
I did.
Call it closure, call it unnecessary.
Call it whatever you want - Oakley does [call it something it may or may not be]

Whatever you call it is fine by me. Personally, I don't want my last Madman input on this forum or at the top of Google's search results to be anything supportive or positive [regarding the Madman]. Like it or not these posts are well indexed and write their own story online. No need to go into details about what Oakley may or may not be monitoring, but I think its safe to say Oakley is probably aware of the dozen or more Raw pieces sitting on eBay for the past couple of weeks, from a few in a frenzy to a few dozen Madman pieces barely showing signs of interest... I'm not the only one coming to my senses. It is obvious that the hype is already wearing off. The more people realize they are not worth anywhere near the cost, or even a fraction of what they paid for them after their various 'discounts', the fewer people there are who actually want them.

If this sounds harsh it is meant to be. When you overcharge and under deliver you deserve to get called out on it. It's okay Oakley - everybody makes a mistake here and there. On the bright side the Badman is not so bad and with the bar set so pathetically low with the Madman it is very likely that the next member of the "X Metal Collection" will be "better".

Last edited:
I did.
Call it closure, call it unnecessary.
Call it whatever you want - Oakley does [call it something it may or may not be]

Whatever you call it is fine by me. Personally, I don't want my last Madman input on this forum or at the top of Google's search results to be anything supportive or positive [regarding the Madman]. Like it or not these posts are well indexed and write their own story online. No need to go into details about what Oakley may or may not be monitoring, but I think its safe to say Oakley is probably aware of the dozen or more Raw pieces sitting on eBay for the past couple of weeks, from a few in a frenzy to a few dozen Madman pieces barely showing signs of interest... I'm not the only one coming to my senses. It is obvious that the hype is already wearing off. The more people realize they are not worth anywhere near the cost, or even a fraction of what they paid for them after their various 'discounts', the fewer people there are who actually want them.

If this sounds harsh it is meant to be. When you overcharge and under deliver you deserve to get called out on it. It's okay Oakley - everybody makes a mistake here and there. On the bright side the Badman is not so bad and with the bar set so pathetically low with the Madman it is very likely that the next member of the "X Metal Collection" will be "better".
You are a very, very strange person. Just saying.

Lol I said it was crap last year when we got to try them on. Threads still funny

Managed to try on a pair on both mans (reached Singapore's shores 2 days ago).

IMHO, i didn't feel the prestige of an x-metal (e.g. looks and touch) when held and worn

I saw an Oakley canteen Ferrari edition though and it's my first time trying it, and I'm looking to get one with that madman budget instead!

An innovative company can't keep doing the same things. They change and improve and update. X-Metals were flawed in a number of ways and these new pairs try to improve on that. You don't like them, that's fine, you don't have to like them. I don't really like the style of either, but I do appreciate the changes they made.

The C5 Madman that Takumi brought to NY would probably have made the X-Metal heads happy in its nostalgia but it didn't fix what Oakley set out to improve.

Other than having a strong opinion, I think OP made this a separate thread trying to convey/emphasize that these are nothing what X-Metal fans hoped for.

Between the Madman's mentions of lacking coverage and not holding tight enough, the thing literally sounds less practical than more of an intended shelf piece in the OTT. Quite frankly any Oakley pair should be remarkably functional, save for fragile finish on some editions. Throw in the price tag (lmfao the Raw) and not-so-premium materials...all these attributes together really paint an ugly picture making you wonder if this was a mere revenue booster.

Latest Posts

Back