• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm Done with the Madman (The Honeymoon is OVER!)

What sections? Exactly?

They make this crap in China there are very little quality controls and regulations that are enforced so their profit margins are ridiculous.
Not all frames made in China. Members with first hand, seen-it-with-my-own-eyes experience put the manufacturing on par or above american manufacturing. Zero evidence of any change in frame quality since the move to China.

From lux's stand point they could care less what the collectors, and previous generations loved about the brand.
I'm sure that's why they've released the big Oakley book about their history, and have been hosting collectors events around the US.

It's all about the future. They will ride the coat tails of the reputation Oakley made for itself, and reap the rewards.
Every company does this, american or otherwise.

I was proud to buy Oakley's knowing they were made right here, but now who knows how or what has gone into them.
Is this what our European, Latin, Asian, and African members felt when manufacturing was done in the US? How do you think they felt about american craftsmanship when they ordered replacement lenses for their Xmetals that didn't fit, direct from Oakley no less. How about the members that have had items stolen, lost, and damaged by Oakley's still US based warranty department?

I realize this is an extreme example, but it goes to show that no matter what, the quality of the brand we love will never be what it once was.
Of course it won't. And neither will any other fashion brand that wants to stay in business.

@qtrain23 You are correct, metals had their flaws, but they were made here in the US, Designed here in the US, and their style and design are still sought after by new Oakley enthusiasts, as well as the older generations of collectors. Comparing x metals to theses is like comparing apples to oranges. They share a name, but are nothing alike.
So its apples to oranges to compare new and old, but only when it suits your argument I guess. What comparison is there to be made? You can't even rightfully compare most parts of the old metals. Materials, sure. Same can be said for the latest version.

In no way is this intended as a personal attack. All this information has been posted repeatedly all over the forum, and neither side of the argument is going to concede to the other. Turns out Oakley is a very polarizing brand from both the outside looking in and the inside looking out.

almost DONE . . . ;)
got #3 this week and #4 is on the way - definite not wearable for me, but the design is worthy of Mad science.

Last edited:
Can someone with a better knowledge of Oakley history tell me whether the range was named after the alloy or the design? I was under the impression it was the metal alloy that gave rise to the range name. Hence, unless you make sunglasses containing this alloy they really do not fall into that range!!!??

I am prepared to be put right on this.:idk:

Can someone with a better knowledge of Oakley history tell me whether the range was named after the alloy or the design? I was under the impression it was the metal alloy that gave rise to the range name. Hence, unless you make sunglasses containing this alloy they really do not fall into that range!!!??

i believe it refers to the original 'Madman' Jim

i believe it refers to the original 'Madman' Jim

I think the question was more pointed at whether the X-Metal line was named after the DESIGN (i.e. the look/design DNA) or the MATERIAL. This has been discussed to no end of course and the answer depends on who you ask; I personally feel X-Metal is a reference to the specific ALLOY, the specific MATERIAL used...not the design DNA. Did the design DNA permeate the entire line? Sure. But I don't believe that's where it all started---it started with the material...so therefore based on THAT definition, nothing other than those glasses made with THAT material are truly "X-Metals".

As to the Madman reference---yes---my understanding is the Madman reference is to Jim Jannard who pushed for outside the box thinking on designs and materials used. Neither of which apply to these new models of course :headbang::vinsent:

I think the question was more pointed at whether the X-Metal line was named after the DESIGN (i.e. the look/design DNA) or the MATERIAL. This has been discussed to no end of course and the answer depends on who you ask; I personally feel X-Metal is a reference to the specific ALLOY, the specific MATERIAL used...not the design DNA. Did the design DNA permeate the entire line? Sure. But I don't believe that's where it all started---it started with the material...so therefore based on THAT definition, nothing other than those glasses made with THAT material are truly "X-Metals".

As to the Madman reference---yes---my understanding is the Madman reference is to Jim Jannard who pushed for outside the box thinking on designs and materials used. Neither of which apply to these new models of course :headbang::vinsent:
I misread obviously... I was referring to the Madman name and not Xmetals...

I believe the alloy came secondary to the desire to create 3D frames in metal.

This is back when metal frames were wires. Stamped arms, ring orbitals,, simple cast pieces, no real "sculpted" metal glasses. Oakley has since done this with other materials. The Romeo could have been made out of anything. Steel would be too heavy, aluminum too brittle. In mid 90's there weren't many other castable metals available.

That makes a lot of sense. Why not call these "DNA Legacy" or something like that. This line had some huge shoes to fill and I think Luxotica made the wrong call trying to put them in the same category. They do have have the look!

Thanks for the reply.

and yet again another sense less bashing of the new releases if you don't like it SHUT THE F UP my gosh appreciate it atleast that Oakley/lux is trying to release something different and new either you like it or not does that really matter??????? the forum is not even 1% of the market out there. The new releases are pretty much widely accepted by the masses. I am sure if the madman raws are available at your store the BASHERS will definitely snug one so come on guys. The member who started the thread wanted to return his lets leave at that and put a PERIOD ONT IT.

Back