• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm starting to think...

Why sorry to me?

I agree with you. It was the outlandish style that make Oakley popular, but that was never they're moneymaker. You also have to consider that at the end of the day, they're running a business. People always seem to forget that.
But isn't the issue that Jannard didn't run this like a business? That stuff like X-Metal may have cost the company money but they did it anyway? Once lux took over it became all about profit first and not about innovation.

Is everyone forgetting about Artist Series?? Everyone on here has a big hard on for the stuff (myself included) and those are all since the "glory days". And all the collab stuff which didn't really exist before. Back in the day people got all stoked for their Crystal Black SGH Unknown exclusive.

Oh, and CUSTOM!!!!

I know where everyone's coming from, but I find it nice to be able to pick from a bunch of frames that you'll like and probably be able to get something that you don't see everyday. I know everyone loves Medusa, OTT, Subzero, Mars, etc - but none of those are pieces that people actually wore (sorry Qtrain)... the exact reason they're collectable.

Everyone gets lost in the really off-side stuff and forget about how much awesome stuff there is right now.

And I think stuff like C-Six and Factory Lite are a little window into the future.

Just my 18 cents.

Being able to choose lenses and frame colors has been around since the Blades. In fact a lot of their marketing of the Blade system was making it your own and fully customizing color combinations.

We look to the outlandish designs of the Medusa, OTT, Mars, SubZero because those stand out. But keep in mind we had Topcoats, Eye Jackets, Fives, Fours, Valve, Scar, Plate, Monster Dog, Mag frames, Splice, Half Jacket, Penny, XX, Racing/Water Jacket, Juliet, Romeo, Straight Jacket, Moon, M Frames... all before 2003, all frames that people still want and look for and pay a premium to get.

And we had Skulls, Flames, Hibiscus, Splatter, Mad Scientists, Liquid Art, Thermonuclear Protection, Poison Protection, all of the other marketing campaigns, designs, and slogans.

And right now the people who fell in love with Oakley because of those things get a Big Taco. Or a Garage Rock.

They may be getting new customers, but I don't see them keeping the old ones very well.

And right now the people who fell in love with Oakley because of those things get a Big Taco. Or a Garage Rock.

They may be getting new customers, but I don't see them keeping the old ones very well.
It certainly does seem very clear that the company has shifted in terms of what demographic they want to concentrate on. Cutting edge has been abandoned for the everyday mediocrity. The exclusivity of Oakley that made them different is gone and in its place is affordability for the masses.

The new styles start at $120, so they aren't aiming for bottom of the barrel consumers here.

Some of your ambitions are a little high guys.

Of course they aren't aiming for the bottom of the barrel customer. That's what Walmart and Target is for. Oakley still has brand reputation just like Ray Ban and any other company out there has in the fashion world. The issue is that before, the company was even above that. You walk down the street and you see a pair of X-Metals, you do a double take and say "Whoa! What the hell is that!"

Now you walk down the street and you see a Batwolf or a Fuel Cell or a Holbrook or a Frog Skin on every other guy. Just like you walk down the street and you see Wayfarers on a lot of teens faces. Oakley was one up on them with what they put out in terms of cutting edge stuff. Now they're just like every other company out there.

Id like to see a remake of the plate, an ott II maybe some new oil rig colorways or an oil rig III. THIS MAKING OF NEW FROGS AND HOLBROOKS IS GETTING OLD.

Latest Posts

Back