• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

IMPORTANT! …..Beware Of Customized Oakley Products! No Matter Whom It’s From

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubyx

Oakley Beginner
It has come to my attention that with the popularity of collecting reaching new heights, members have taken the liberty to customize Oakley products more and more. Now……customizing Oakley sunglasses is not something I am personally opposed to …… BUT……. with certain knowledge I have become aware that a few members are customizing sunglasses for a niche market that exists in this forum. This manipulation comes in many different forms including non-existent color ways, coatings, themes, etching, displays, and much MUCH more.

It is understandable that many people would like to buy unique items that personally speak to them as a consumer. It is the right of any buyer to purchase anything that they like….But; this has an inherent consequence here creating major problems to a vast number of collectors. These same people selling customized products are also flooding the market with replicated rare factory products in which have a major impact. These people who are experts in Oakley knowledge are recreating items that are known to existing collectors generating a major concern for people who assign value to items in their collection. I am lucky enough to find out this information from a few sources and I have become aware that this is being done intentionally. These people are also preying on less informed enthusiasts by trading their custom items for items that are more known or valuable to informed collectors. The most important factor in this message is that the people doing this are the ones I thought to be most trusted. This was the hardest thing to accept and prompted a statement that I think every collector here should read.

I have experienced the repercussions of this new menace first hand and I am concerned that this is the future of collecting. As to whom these people are? I will only say that they have extensive collections and a few are well known customizers.

In short, do not be fooled by these people, passion and love for collecting can easily turn into obsession or greed. PLEASE! Be wary of non-factory items and stay true to Oakley if you plan to pass items along. Do we really want such people in charge of a market based or exclusiveness? Oakley purposefully does not create items to stay true to exclusivity that protect consumers. Also remember the bigger picture, it maybe the people who love Oakley collecting the most that ultimately cause the most significant harm.

Nice topic, for me personally custom pairs can be nice. But I always/most of the time prefer to stick to the originally issued colorways, as they are how Oakley intended them to be.

I can see both sides of the coin. However, if I want ice or violet lenses in a specific pair they don't offer that colorway for, I should be able to purchase a pair of authentic Oakley lenses and do whatever I want to do to those lenses once I purchase them. If I choose to alter them, that's my decision once I purchase the product. Each person is responsible for their own collection and if raises the value or harms the value, that is the consequence of the actions I chose to take.

This is a good topic nonetheless. Please stay on topic in this thread.

I can see both sides of the coin. However, if I want ice or violet lenses in a specific pair they don't offer that colorway for, I should be able to purchase a pair of authentic Oakley lenses and do whatever I want to do to those lenses once I purchase them. If I choose to alter them, that's my decision once I purchase the product. Each person is responsible for their own collection and if raises the value or harms the value, that is the consequence of the actions I chose to take.

This is a good topic nonetheless. Please stay on topic in this thread.

I completely agree with BAPD once the product is purchase it is the collectors choice if I want a custom paint job on my glasses or custom cut lenses in them. Once they are paid for they are mine to do with what I please

agreed, i just think OP is talking about when people do that and claim that it is how it really came from the factory...i think..

agreed, i just think OP is talking about when people do that and claim that it is how it really came from the factory...i think..

I'm not sure exactly what the OP is talking about. People making fakes and passing them off as genuine, or people modifying Oakley products and selling custom mods.

Who is this person who has come one here talking about collectors making mods and fakes, and what is causing the stink? Are we talking about Dr Chop, which would explain his absence from the forums? I don't see anything he does as false advertising or ruining the collector market, unless you're talking specifically about chopping a lens to fit a different frame and hurting the one guy who has that lens in that frame and values it like it's solid gold.

In the case piper is talking about someone is stealing property of Oak/Lux and selling it. If they fished them out of the trash that's one thing, but to smuggle them out and turn around and sell them for profit is clearly wrong.

Oakley does not produce things for exclusivity, they produce things for profit. Making exclusive and limited releases generates interest and buzz, and ultimately more business. If the Robert Williams pairs came out in standard numbers there would likely be very little demand for them aside from the genuine Dispatch, Williams, and Artist Series fans. Now it's exclusive and every Tom, ****, and Harry will buy a set either as an investment to scalp on later interest, or because there's added desire and value to a limited pair.

the only thing i gather from the OP's post is that people MAY be making custom combos resembling rare/exclusive colorways and passing them off as genuine articles. i.e. slapping together a "poor man's" Ichiro Juliet and selling it as an actual Ichiro for more money. which im totally against of course.

But if the sale description is accurate and honest, i have no qualms about selling anything. Its up to the buyer to then decide if the product is what they want.

Well said Brip...good discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back