• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Impressive Knockoffs

If he wants to pass them off as real, those close ups of the nose bridge and the etching aren't going to help his cause.

The nose bridge on the fake x-squareds looks like it's often poorly aligned from the pics I've seen.

I actually am not that impressed with the x-metal knockoffs. The Pit Boss matte black seems to be the best fake I've seen. The juliets look especially bad to me.

I think the black of the "carbon" makes it a little easier to pass off as the x-metal and plasma looks totally wrong and the lighter the color the easier I think it is to see the lack of quality in the material used.

Same goes for the lenses. The fake lenses are gross. Especially the "fire/ruby".

I'm surprised the x-metal fakes are as poor as they are considering how good a lot of fake watches are.

The nose bridge on the fake x-squareds looks like it's often poorly aligned from the pics I've seen.

I actually am not that impressed with the x-metal knockoffs. The Pit Boss matte black seems to be the best fake I've seen. The juliets look especially bad to me.

I think the black of the "carbon" makes it a little easier to pass off as the x-metal and plasma looks totally wrong and the lighter the color the easier I think it is to see the lack of quality in the material used.

Same goes for the lenses. The fake lenses are gross. Especially the "fire/ruby".

I'm surprised the x-metal fakes are as poor as they are considering how good a lot of fake watches are.
Thanks for clarifying this. I was interested to find out as well. The color appeared wrong but otherwise waa having a hard time figuring it out.

It's probably the best of the fake x-metals I've personally seen, so I could easily see someone making the mistake. I guess the juliets, which I had previously said were deplorably bad, have actually got better recently, so you can't be too careful.

My big fear is if they start to be able to take Oakley lenses because that would add another unwelcome wrinkle to the "spot the fake" game. As it is now, the ice and the black are hard to spot, but the "fire/ruby" are laughable.

Gotta love my H-Town hustlas, alway looking to make some bank...

I've been temped to meet this person to see this stuff. Hell, I would even buy some of the crap for comparison sake if it were under $10.

My impression from the pics I've seen is that it's the details and finishing that is really off on the x-metal fakes. As long as you're looking at pics from a distance where the basic shape of the glasses is all you can really examine, I think they can by deceiving.

It's when you see macros of the rough edges of the metal cuts, the lack of symmetry (the nose bridge on the x-squared seems to be off-center on most of the ones I've seen), the imprecise seating of the lenses in the frame, and the shininess of the metal itself that it becomes easy to see the difference in quality. This is above and beyond the obvious tells like the screws instead of rivets, etc..

The apparent sheen of the metal with the fakes might be one of the easier tells that I don't recall having seen mentioned.

Back